• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1/17/10 What battery operated power tools do you use?

1/17/10 What battery operated hand power tools do you use?

• Makita

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Dewalt

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Bosch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Black and Decker

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ridgid

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

bighawg

Proud Rider of the Short Bus
Reaction score
Battery operated power tools. What do you use and like.

Makita
DeWalt
Milwaukee
Bosch
Ryobi
Black and Decker
Ridgid
Craftsman
Other

Got several of them like most everyone but I wouldn't mind if all of them were Milwaukee. Best I've had yet.

DeWalt Not because they're the best just because they're the most common and have the most variety. I have a whole window sill filled with new batts too from their promo give aways.

Ridgid & Dewalt for me, but I have more Ridgid than Dewalt, so that's where my Vote went.

EDIT: Can Add Snap-On for me now too.

Last edited:
Another DeeeWalt here. For better or worse, richer or poorer. All 18 volt.

Even my corded stuff is Dewalt.

Overall, been happy with the performance. I have probably 10 different Dewalt things and only had to replace a trigger switch in the 18 volt drill, and a few power cords on the 4 1/2" grinders... don't ask.

Last edited:
My dad has always used Dewalt, but I see more and more milwalkee. I have craftsman cause the batteries are cheap to replace and seems like they do well - as far as a 1/2" drill and 3/8" angle drill goes.

Mine are DeWalt. They're reasonably priced, and available. I've had a few problems, but overall, I'm satisfied with them.
I've owned Makita's too. I don't see much difference between the two.
I bought a few Ryobi's when Home Depot moved to Fairbanks. They're dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for. The tools seemed OK, but the batteries didn't last long.
The Porter-Cable's that I've used were impressive -nicer than Makita or DeWalt.
Milwakee makes nice cordless tools, but I still think they're overpriced.

Seeing how I'm in the trades, battery powered tools are a daily work item for me.

I've used many over the years, but the Dewalt 18v screwgun/hammerdrill has been pretty near bullet proof.
I was using the Pasload finish nailers, but got tired of feeding fuel cylinders to them, so I switched to a full battery power Ridgid 15ga. and it's been great so far. Still assessing that tool.
Also switched to a 12v Ridgid screwgun as the Dewalt 18v is getting heavy for these worn shoulders working overhead and that also has been a really good tool. It actually has some shoulders to it...a pleasant surprise.

So...Dewalt and Ridgid for me...for battery powered anyhow.
Circular saws and sawzall type tools pull to hard on the batteries to be useful for me.

I'll go with Ridgid right now as these are my newest and favorites, but like everything else these days you really have to watch what you get. A lot of crap out there that won't make the grade.

Seeing how I'm in the trades, battery powered tools are a daily work item for me.

I've used many over the years, but the Dewalt 18v screwgun/hammerdrill has been pretty near bullet proof.
I was using the Pasload finish nailers, but got tired of feeding fuel cylinders to them, so I switched to a full battery power Ridgid 15ga. and it's been great so far. Still assessing that tool.
Also switched to a 12v Ridgid screwgun as the Dewalt 18v is getting heavy for these worn shoulders working overhead and that also has been a really good tool. It actually has some shoulders to it...a pleasant surprise.

So...Dewalt and Ridgid for me...for battery powered anyhow.
Circular saws and sawzall type tools pull to hard on the batteries to be useful for me.

Have you used the small impact drivers? They are light and any of the hex head detent bits will fit in it I've got drill bits (wood and metal) and a wide assortment of driver bits including socket adapters. By far my most used tool. I've screwed off entire decks with it and drilled holes as large as 1 1/2".

I've got two of those impacts, love them. One with the hex head the other with a 3/8 head for sockets and such. Very handy around the farm. Both Makita's.

I use the heck out of my Paslode framer but didn't want the weight of the finish nailer so I stayed pneumatic for now. I'll be real interested in how the bat op one works for you over the long haul. When we finally sell the farm :)mad2:) and move to the cabin, I've got a big addition to put on so a good finish nailer is gonna be at the top of the new tool list.

I use the heck out of my Paslode framer but didn't want the weight of the finish nailer so I stayed pneumatic for now. I'll be real interested in how the bat op one works for you over the long haul. When we finally sell the farm :)mad2:) and move to the cabin, I've got a big addition to put on so a good finish nailer is gonna be at the top of the new tool list.

Those Paslodes are one of the greatest tools to hit the farm. Use mine all the time.

You guys seen the new Hitachi nailers, made like the Paslode. Got one for Christmas.

Those Paslodes are one of the greatest tools to hit the farm. Use mine all the time.

You guys seen the new Hitachi nailers, made like the Paslode. Got one for Christmas.
Don't know what I would do without that Paslode around the farm. All those years of swinging a 22 or 24 oz framer are long gone...:thumbsup: the end of the forearm cramp!
Haven't seen the new Hitachi one yet.

The Paslodes fill a niche for sure. They are handy and powerful.

For me however, using them everyday out in the elements, they are getting costly and unreliable. I hate even saying it because when they work they are awesome. Mine just don't hold up to the abuse I give them.
I have the framer, angled finish, and smaller finish...and all need service. They haven't come out of the trailer for a long time and will soon be getting retired to the garage.

I now use the Ridgid finish for outside, and have gone back to air for inside. I will say that the original compact battery for the Ridgid quickly was replaced with the larger battery. Didn't cut it...the larger battery will last longer than I need it to so far. The smaller battery only lasted a couple hours, the larger for almost a week. Another plus to the 15ga nails is if the gun doesn't fully drive the nail, it can be sunk with a set and not fold like the thinner nails do. That saves me time and material on the job.

the only things I've got that are battery operated is a cheap cordless drill and my flashlight.:D

x2

Got 4 craftsman drills. 15.6v, 18v, (2)19.2v

I've used the crap out of my 15.6. I need to rebuild the batteries though. I rather use it than my others, it does what I need and doesn't weigh as much. It's nice having multiples when I'm drilling holes and then drilling screws into the holes. Don't have to switch bits all the time.

Back