• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1/17/10 What battery operated power tools do you use?

1/17/10 What battery operated hand power tools do you use?

• Makita

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Dewalt

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Bosch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Black and Decker

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ridgid

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
Love De-walts, have them at work, but too expensive for dad. We have a Milwaukee cordless impact at home, and love it, and a set of craftsman (90* drill, drill/driver, light, sawzall, cordless skill saw, and a jigsaw). They were great for building a deer stand in the woods this fall.

Snap-on....... Pry off.

I have a craftsmen drill too but snap-on deffinently takes the cake. But for a normal person I think they are a little to pricey.

A couple of brands missing, the main one being Porter-Cable. I have tools from 7 of the manufacturers but the poll only allowsa vote for 1 manufacturer. Someone in the construction trade, for example, may own and use several brands and they may not be duplicates of tool type. An example, few companies make a good battery powered compact right angle drill, or a good small b-o circular saw. One company may make one of these specialized tools and it may not be someones most popular or best, but it is still used and should be counted. Not good to dump all battery operated tools into a category for a rating. I have found that no one company makes the top tools in all categories, and I have purchased and used the one that works best for me. Brand loyalty means nothing, I look at performance.

Main thing I looked for was to be able to use the same batt in alot of diff tools. So I bought Dewalt. Not necessarily the best but definately the most variety.

Performance is a great thing to purchase for, but I'd rather try and find the same brand/battery for all the tools I use. That way, if I'm working on a project, I'm not plugging in more than 1 or 2 chargers. To have 7 different brands with 7 different batteries with 7 different chargers - thats a lot to lug around, plug in, and keep track of. JMHO

A couple of brands missing, the main one being Porter-Cable. I have tools from 7 of the manufacturers but the poll only allowsa vote for 1 manufacturer. Someone in the construction trade, for example, may own and use several brands and they may not be duplicates of tool type. An example, few companies make a good battery powered compact right angle drill, or a good small b-o circular saw. One company may make one of these specialized tools and it may not be someones most popular or best, but it is still used and should be counted. Not good to dump all battery operated tools into a category for a rating. I have found that no one company makes the top tools in all categories, and I have purchased and used the one that works best for me. Brand loyalty means nothing, I look at performance.

Yeah I left a few off. But I just wanted to know what you like. I've got several brands as well.

Craftsman, but not by choice, they where a gift. Except for the batteries whcih do not last anywhere near as long as they should they are fine. I still prefer my brothers dewalts though.

A couple of brands missing, the main one being Porter-Cable.

I guess I am a wierd one here as I completely dislike the battery powered tools. At work we have some Makita, Metaubo, Dewalt and Wilwaukee.
The first 3 are junk for us. We can burn them up in 1 yr or less and get no support from the manufacturer. Milwaukee drills we used were made in Germany at one time and they lasted pretty well. Now they come from China and it has gone just like the rest of the crap you get from there. I use the tools at work because they have them. At home I dont have a single one in the garage at all.

We used to have a really nice Porter Cable jig saw that was great, now discontinued when they became part of Dewalt and nothing to replace the saw so we have stocked up on the parts and will rebuld them for a few yrs as needed until they are no longer available.

Just about every electric and battery power tool I own is Ridgid. 18v drill is really the only thing I have that is battery powered, everything else is electric, and like that so that you don't have to worry about a battery running down. Everything from my 12" compound miter saw to a jigsaw to a sander are all electric Ridgid and have had no problems with any of them. Also have 2 Ridgid numatic nailers, a framer and a trim nailer, and a Porter Cable trim nailer as well. Love all 3. I don't use them as much as I used to, but when I was using them on a daily basis, never had any problems with them and were very reliable. Like anything, with proper maintence, they last for a very long, long time. I try to take care of my stuff, as once I started to buy my own tools, you take more pride in them. I decided on the Bosch sawzall and it has much more power then the Ridgid, though it is a little more bulky, but I have used it cutting most anything you could think of.

Milwaukee in both 14.4 Ni-cad, and 28v Lithium. The 28v is heavy, but the batteries last a real long time. The power is great and it's nice to be able to use them without pulling an extension cord up a ladder. I just wish their new Li-ion batteries were backwards compatible.

when i worked construction we used only dewalt. when i was an electrical apprentice we used milwaukee only. my personal stuff i have a old hitachi cordless and i borrowed my brothers milwaukee lithium mini drills, they are the best I have ever used!

Interesting thread. I use pneumatics mostly followed by Dewalt and some brand X batt powered. Some corded Porter cable and Milwaukee thrown it just to round it out. I have done mostly metal work and welding most of myh life and I am very partial to pneumatics.

Just one drill for use in the house,i hate it when the batts are/go dead when you need them the most.
All of them are corded,i'm used to tripping over the power cords anyway and for remote use i got a generator to plug into.

Back