• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

you guys using weight distributing hitches?

That Ray to much for me

I hear ya!

Yes, $3,100 is quite an investment for a trailer hitch. However, everyone who owns one has all kinds of praises for the Hensley and claim that they will never again tow without one.

I would love to try one out, but I'm afraid that if I did, I would end up having to buy one and at this point I'm just not able to justify the expense.

QUOTE=MattZ71;21432]in thinking about getting the Hensley-Arrow and doing away with the chains![/QUOTE]

The equalizer with the bars works great if you want to drop around $500 instead of $3000. Between the allison and the hitch I have gotten my wife to start towing the trailer.:coolgleamA:[

The link you hook the load bar to the trailer with depends entirely on the tongue wt of the trailer and how much you want to redestribute to your truck from the hitch.

Ideally the trailer should be level or very slightly nose down. You don't want all the load off the truck, especially with a 2500HD or 3500. It will bounce off the overload spring and beat you to death. There should always be some down pressure from the trailer to the truck.

Most travel trailers will have a tongue wt between 500 to 1200 lbs depending on the individual trailer. The trailer data should tell you that. Use a level or a good eyeball to determine the attitude.

The chain with the wt on the hitch should be tight but the load level bar should not be excessively bent at the aft end. If you see a very noticeable bend at the end of the bar it is too tight. Slack off a link.

Have you guys seen this new ProPride 3P hitch?
http://www.propridehitch.com/3P_trailer_hitch.html
Apparently designed by Jim Hensley. Looks like a good design and is priced less than Hensley Arrow. They are about $2400 but I see that the HA is now on sale for the same price.

Think I'll stick with my Equalizer.

Hey usaCanuck,

Yes, the 3P (Pivot Point Projection) hitch was designed by Jim Hensley. He is not associated with the company that was named after him and licensed his original design.

I was the vice president of the orange company for 10 years before getting canned without any notice on July 2nd, 2007. Apparently loyalty is a lost value in this world but it was the best thing that ever happened to me because I was able to license all of Jim's improvements to his old design and produce a hitch that can be sold for a lot less money than the overhead bloated orange price.

You're correct on the listed price and their never ending sale as an attempt to compete. However, I can do better than my listed price if any of you mention DTR when talking to me. ;)

Hey usaCanuck,

Yes, the 3P (Pivot Point Projection) hitch was designed by Jim Hensley. He is not associated with the company that was named after him and licensed his original design.

I was the vice president of the orange company for 10 years before getting canned without any notice on July 2nd, 2007. Apparently loyalty is a lost value in this world but it was the best thing that ever happened to me because I was able to license all of Jim's improvements to his old design and produce a hitch that can be sold for a lot less money than the overhead bloated orange price.

You're correct on the listed price and their never ending sale as an attempt to compete. However, I can do better than my listed price if any of you mention DTR when talking to me. ;)

Hey Sean. I read the story on your website and have also read some of your forum. Your design looks to be quite an improvement over the HA and it appears you have a pretty loyal following.

After looking at this pro pride and ha hitch I have one question for those that have either. I'm not real familiar with them but it looks like the main head stays on the trailer and you back the "stinger" into it,is that correct? How hard is that to actually hook up ?

After looking at this pro pride and ha hitch I have one question for those that have either. I'm not real familiar with them but it looks like the main head stays on the trailer and you back the "stinger" into it,is that correct? How hard is that to actually hook up ?

With both hitches you are backing a 2x2 bar into the opening. The HA hitch has a 3x3 opening to back the bar into. One of the improvements in the 3P is a larger opening of 3.5x3.5 due to the angles inside the box being a greater angle to allow easier insertion of the bar.

It does take a little getting used to but is simple to do after a few uses.

Backing a ball under a coupler on a conventional hitch actually takes more precise backing.

Back