• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who's got the best "used" PMD's ?

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I suspect a PMD on my new 94 but don't want to spend the $$ on a kit or new one until I can further determine the condition of the rest of the truck. If the trucks a keeper I'll get a new one but for now I just want to see if the problem goes away and reset the timing on it. I know Edam has a bad rep. Who sells halfway decent ones ?

I've got one of the infamous SS ones for sale. I did have it on the intake for about 20K miles, but it never hiccuped even once. Let me know if you're interested. I can only guarrantee that mine was running at time of removal in JANUARY, other than that theres nothing I can promise.

I would get a new one(Dtech) ,only 160 bucks or so at Pensacola diesel.
I would not fart around with an unknown used one.
I would do that in a heartbeat but this engine may have more seriuos issues so I just want to get past the stalling, code 56 to seeif I can pin down the knocking and further assess the condition of th truck before it becomes another money pit.

I've got one of the infamous SS ones for sale. I did have it on the intake for about 20K miles, but it never hiccuped even once. Let me know if you're interested. I can only guarrantee that mine was running at time of removal in JANUARY, other than that theres nothing I can promise.

PM me a price.

I agree with Bison. Check out Pensacola Diesel for a new PMD. (I'm not affliliated with them in any way, shape, or form). I just called them two days ago to ask them questions about the PMD they sell, but ended up talking to their technician/parts guy first. He did not even try to sell me anything, he said to check the "adapter" harness plugged between the optical sensor and the pmd. That short wiring harness is known to create problems, he said, and to disconnect it and hook the pmd directly to the optical sensor. He also said that some 1994's do not have that harness.

Their pmd is guaranteed a year.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I wouldn't screw ith a used one excpet from someone I know. I didn't want to spend 4-500$ on a kit for this truck not knowing what else could be wrong with it.

The one I sent him was in my truck and working. The PMD was one of the few items that I didn't have problems with on my 6.5.

Yep. It was good. It solved part of the problem but I have a nasty fuel leak by the FFM. I was going to work on it today but wifes got H1NI and I was knee deep in welding trying to get as much work on my big trucks in in case I get it.

Yep, I had the same problem on my FFM, the O-ring on the bottom was dry and leaked like a siv under pressure.

Yeah I got some extra viton ones from when I did FTB on the Tahoe. All I need now is the time. Might take a break from welding tommorow and work on the 94.

dont buy from diesel care and performance!! i bought one of their used one to check a problem,but when you crank up it goes full throttle!!
called them they said i needed my injection pump rebuilt!
ordered a new one from penscola diesel and solved my problems!

PMD's can and do fail in a manner that will cause a full throttle condition.

Not at all pleasant and can be very alarming until the computer shuts it off.

The overspeed trip in the ECM will shut off the power to the shut down solenoid and the thing will die.

It will only restart after you cycle the key off then back on and do a restart, then scream again.

I do have a source for used PMD's but they are not really worth using when you can have a good DTECH unit.

Best

Missy

Yeah I want to reiterate, PLaying around with used ones is NOT a good idea. I just didn't want to spend money on this truck suspecting more seriuos issues and being on the borderline of dismantling it. If I cared at all about it, I would be putting a new DTech in.

Back