• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who's done the DIY Inj. cleaning I've read about?

Never heard of it Gerald. I feel like my injectors are in good shape with the treatment I've given them. Have run B5-B20 for years and put Powerservice in the tank almost every fillup. 178k (today) and it still runs great.
Post a link to it. I assume it's DP. we don't have a problem with links to there. If you want you could just copy and paste text. Your choice.

I personally would not run anything through the injectors unless there was a problem. I would read the balance rates and then take action if needed. JMO

That's the same basic procedure you use to flush gas injectors. If you have carbon build-up on your piston crowns or inside your injectors I could see it helping, but for somebody who uses POWER SERVICE I wouldn't see it doing much. I could see it helping with people who run 2 stroke oil to lubricate as some 2 stroke oils contain fairly high levels of carbon and can cause build-ups.

Let us know if it makes any difference. Are you having a problem or just being proactive?

I've been known to take the Power Service Silver Jug that treats "up to" 250 gallons and put in half of it (125 gallon dosage)in my 26 gallon tank:eek:...I'm not saying just anyone should do this... but I had no problems from doing it...I've also at the same time put in a quart of transmission fluid to smooth out an FPR lope...I figured while I was dosing it the Power Service may keep the Tranny fluid from causing more problems than it is supposed to help...

This isn't for everybody though...but I'm trying to see if there is anyway I can make these LB7 crap injectors make it until my rebuild is complete(they are hazing bad right now) I got to do something, and thank God my build is progressing at a much faster rate...heck...it's been three years :eek:

Let us know if it makes any difference. Are you having a problem or just being proactive?

Ya know, I don't really know for sure. The truck has no smoke or CEL, but it seems to surge at idle. I feel it "miss" like a gasser when sitting in the truck at idle also. The guy I bought the truck fro changed 1 inj. and said the balance rates were good. I'm new to these engines so I'm learning.

I would love to check those balance rates but I don't have a programer to do so.

I figure why not give this inj. cleaning a try?

I've been running PService and 2-stroke since I bought the truck but I still think it should be running better.

My next route may have to be changing out the FPR, but I understand that's alot of work. Simple things first :)

There was a TSB on LLYs for surge and a reflash. I had my '05 LLY done at around 25k and it helped. Also Gerald, I'd steer clear of the 2 stroke. These Common rail injectors can be very sensitive to coking from heavy oil. Best thing you can do for the system is try to run B5 to B20. And yes, I know that with winter here, B5 is probably as high as you'll find but it really is good for the pump and system for lubricity. Especially combined with a good additive like PS.

There was a TSB on LLYs for surge and a reflash. I had my '05 LLY done at around 25k and it helped. Also Gerald, I'd steer clear of the 2 stroke. These Common rail injectors can be very sensitive to coking from heavy oil. Best thing you can do for the system is try to run B5 to B20. And yes, I know that with winter here, B5 is probably as high as you'll find but it really is good for the pump and system for lubricity. Especially combined with a good additive like PS.

If I bring it to the dealer for a re-flash, what kind of money we talking? Any idea? Is it a big procedure?

If I bring it to the dealer for a re-flash, what kind of money we talking? Any idea? Is it a big procedure?
I don't know what the charge is but I do know they say 1 hr because it's an online update and they can't count on the data speed at any given time. I really only takes a few minutes. If you have a friendly dealer it might be pretty cheap.

I don't know what the charge is but I do know they say 1 hr because it's an online update and they can't count on the data speed at any given time. I really only takes a few minutes. If you have a friendly dealer it might be pretty cheap.

Thanks Mike! I'm gonna talk to my dealer tomorrow.

Tried last night, but couldn't get the quick couplers off. Grrr.

Picked some coupler removal tools up from my dad this morning. Got 1 off, but not the other. Grrrrr.

Gotta buy some with a larger sleeve by the looks of things. Grrr!!

I WILL win......I know I will.

I'll update this thread when it's done and give my opinion of this Inj. cleaning stuff.

Looks like I'm gonna throw some Tranny fluid into the tank for now.

edit: I went to the GM dealer this morning to look into the re-flash. They said it looks like it was done in '09. Should I be satisfied with this answer, or just get them to re-flash again? Is a re-flash just another attemp to put a stock tune into the truck? Sorry if this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't :hihi:

Re-flash is a tune with corrections to fix "discovered" flaws or correct for issues as noted by owners/dealers. It's a stock tune, just been tweaked to fix issues.

Re-flash is a tune with corrections to fix "discovered" flaws or correct for issues as noted by owners/dealers. It's a stock tune, just been tweaked to fix issues.

Thanks Ed. Hey, if I were to buy a tuner like Bill mentioned, I would be better off right? This way I can just insert a new tune and forget about a dealer re-flash. Or am I off with my thinking?

I believe an up to date Predator tune for an LLY (set at 60 or 85) is your best bet to see where you are at. Alternately you could go EFI if there's somebody around you with a license. I think it $100 per tune.

Back