• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which tire size for FRANKENBURBAN?

Which tire size for FRANKENBURBAN?

• 245/75/16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 265/75/16

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • 235/85/16

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
My old 245/75/16's are about 7 years old now as the BURB sat for over 3 years before I got time to do my tranplant. 3 out of the 4 have sidewall cracks in them, and one of them is getting pretty bad REALLY quick. So I'm trying to decide on which size I should go with. I currently have the 245/75/16 BRIDGESTONE DURAVIS 773's on it and they just look small in the wheel wells. I had a set of 265/75/16's before and they looked good, but I picked up almost 3MPG by going to the 245/75/16's. I was considering the 235/85/16's to get the added height without adding drag from the extra width. I'm just a bit worried about traction as I have ZERO problems lighting up the 245's at will, and driving in the rain is exciting to say the least. Which size would you guys go with?

I voted 265's but I can understand why you would go with the 245's again...

3mpg diff? WOW!

edit: I run 265/75/16E Dueller AT Revo's and love the ride and wear...I tow daily...

I voted 265's but I can understand why you would go with the 245's again...

3mpg diff? WOW!

edit: I run 265/75/16E Dueller AT Revo's and love the ride and wear...I tow daily...

Yep, when I had the 4.10 gears and the 6.5L I went from 14 running 70 up to right at 17 when I went to the shorter 245's. I was considering the 235/85/16's like alot of the guys with dually's run so I could get the added height without rolling resistance, but traction has proven to be an issue with the slightest amount of rain. It wasn't fun trying to pull out into traffic and fishtailing it for a good ways, although the traction control in the TCM kicks in in the rain.

with traction being a issue, I voted for the 265's sucks about the mpg though..

265s. With your added torque, they'll help with traction and since you don't do daily drive, the mileage isn't a killer. Besides, you're the one that killed your own mileage...;)

265s. With your added torque, they'll help with traction and since you don't do daily drive, the mileage isn't a killer. Besides, you're the one that killed your own mileage...;)

The milage before with 265's was with the old 6.5 and 4.10 gears. Even babying it I couldn't break 15, but had no problems breaking 18 with the 245's. I guess I should look into the 265's though because the 245's are a thrill on wet roads with this thing. I was sure glad I had my tow tune loaded into the DSP2 side so I could drive it in the rain.

Well since it was 10:1 I went with the LT265/75/16's in a MICHELIN LTX/MS2. I lost some of my initial accel and overall power, but I did gain alot of traction with them. I'm going to run em for a little while and see how the milage is with them.

Was your speedometer/odometer adjusted for the change in tire diameter? That's probably the main change in mileage, not added drag, etc. Just your odometer being that much off.

After taking a trip yesterday I have decided to ditch the 265's and go back to 245's. It just did not respond well to the 265/75/16's. The steering now has a sloppy feeling to it that I didn't have with the 245's, and it get's eary under hard braking with them as well. The loss in accel really sucked to, on a stock tune it feels like an utter dog. Even my current tune that would light em up at will before can't hardly spin the tires on a dirt road. I wouldn't have thought a 1 3/4" increase in tire height would have knocked it into the dirt this badly. Milage didn't really suffer though, only about a 1/2 MPG drop.

I think your steering "slop" came from the higher sidewall on the 265's. I noticed this alot back on my old blazers when I jumped from a 32 10.50 to a 34 12.50 but that was on 15"s. Lots and Lots of sidewall rubber. What was/is the load range on the 265's that also has a big effect on sidewall flex.

LT265/75/16's load range E 10 ply MICHELIN LTX M/S2 is what I put on it. The BURB just drove better with the 245's on it than it does with 265's.

With "E" tires I doubt you had much sidewall movement they are a pretty stought tire. Understandbly you have to go with what your butt tells you though.

I put 265's on my D-Max the end of September, they were the Mastercraft Courser AT2's. I lost some acceleration power and 2 MPG using corrected figures for checking the MPG. The odometer difference works out to about 2.5 miles for every 100 miles travelled. They look better on it than the 245's, but I'm not sure I like the mileage loss enough to go back with that size next time. We went hunting in Utah the day after I got those tires and the best it would do pulling a 16' flat bed with 2 four wheelers and a bunch of camping/hunting gear was about 13.8 MPG. If fuel was $4.80 a gallon like it was the year before, I wouldn't have been very happy with them at all. Mike

Back