• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where to camp?

Kings Canyon and Sequoia National parks are beautiful and full on natural wonders....A must see if you are in the vicinity. Located near Fresno, Calif.
http://www.goldenstateimages.com/GSI_search.php?srch=general sherman giant sequoia tree&op=ex
Nice.
Yosemite, nowadays, is a tourist trap. Buses of foreigners:puke:
The Eastern Sierra is really nice. There are several pack outfits that will pack you in, cook, take care of everything, real cowboy/packers, long or short trips...or you can pack in yourself. If you haven't been in the saddle for a while, take a short trip, or you'll be nursing a sore butt.
Great fishing, no crowds, the real deal, it's really big up there.

Nice.
Yosemite, nowadays, is a tourist trap. Buses of foreigners:puke:
The Eastern Sierra is really nice. There are several pack outfits that will pack you in, cook, take care of everything, real cowboy/packers, long or short trips...or you can pack in yourself. If you haven't been in the saddle for a while, take a short trip, or you'll be nursing a sore butt.
Great fishing, no crowds, the real deal, it's really big up there.

That is true Hopalong on both counts! I wouldn't go to Yosemite in the summer. It's not bad right now but in the summer it's a zoo! I just got back from Convict Lake for Trout Opener and it was a zoo but man did we kill the Trout! Where do start your pack trips out of?

It's been a few years since I've been up there, and I just checked out the websites.
Looks to me like Red's Meadow has commercialized some.
I think I'd go out of McGee Creek or Mammoth Lakes.
The Roesers are good folks, Lee went to Cal Poly 32+ years ago when I was there.
They used to run Mammoth Lakes, now McGee Creek.
Great stories.
Most all of these outfits have gentle horses, but believe me, if you're not used to it, even at a walk, if you're in the saddle for six hours, you'll be hurtin'.

It's been a few years since I've been up there, and I just checked out the websites.
Looks to me like Red's Meadow has commercialized some.
I think I'd go out of McGee Creek or Mammoth Lakes.
The Roesers are good folks, Lee went to Cal Poly 32+ years ago when I was there.
They used to run Mammoth Lakes, now McGee Creek.
Great stories.
Most all of these outfits have gentle horses, but believe me, if you're not used to it, even at a walk, if you're in the saddle for six hours, you'll be hurtin'.

It seems we were at Cal Poly at about the same time! I graduated class of 78Industrial Arts Major. I was 30 passing myself off as 25):h Using every cent of my GI Bill $$$.......I still own the house I bought in Los Oso in 78. I love it up in The Central Coast!. A buddy has some property at Running Deer Ranch at Naci. I'm heading up there next week to catch some White Bass. We go there a lot. From your garage I would guess you live in Atascadero.

Thanks for the Pack info. I've always wanted to try that. Now that I'm retired and my kids are grown I have the time!):h That is some beautiful country up around Mammoth and the surrounding vicinity. I intend on exploring it!...... GO..... SLO!!

Small world. Yes sir, I live in Atascadero, and my g/f owns a house on 13th St. in Los Osos that she rents out.
Cal Poly '76 Farrier Science.
Just an interesting aside...the Eastern Sierra pack strings winter down in the Owens Valley. Around this time of year, just before Memorial Day, they are rounded up near Independence, shod, and driven up to the high country. I'm pretty sure they let folks get in on that drive as well.
For years, we took the Cal Poly horseshoeing class over to Independence, camped out by the aqueduct, and shod the pack string.
Nacimiento, although far from being full, has a lot more water than last year.
My apprentice, who's 23, has been saying that he needs 4 days off at Memorial Day to go up to the lake with his buddies and a boatload of girls.
I guess these days, I'm living vicariously through him in more ways than one!
Have fun.

Small world. Yes sir, I live in Atascadero, and my g/f owns a house on 13th St. in Los Osos that she rents out.
Cal Poly '76 Farrier Science.
Just an interesting aside...the Eastern Sierra pack strings winter down in the Owens Valley. Around this time of year, just before Memorial Day, they are rounded up near Independence, shod, and driven up to the high country. I'm pretty sure they let folks get in on that drive as well.
For years, we took the Cal Poly horseshoeing class over to Independence, camped out by the aqueduct, and shod the pack string.
Nacimiento, although far from being full, has a lot more water than last year.
My apprentice, who's 23, has been saying that he needs 4 days off at Memorial Day to go up to the lake with his buddies and a boatload of girls.
I guess these days, I'm living vicariously through him in more ways than one!
Have fun.

Can't say as I blame him........There will be lots of kids up there! They are fun to watch from a distance if you have binoculars:) I'll be up there for that fiasco wknd!:biggrinjester:

I'm gonna look into the pack horse deal! You have fun too!

Gruber, Convict is one of our favorites, how was opening day? We already have reservations for end of Sep early Oct.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words:biggrin5: The daughter's BF Zach caught all the big ones I caught a 2.5 lber but I already posted the pic. We had a great time and caught lots of fish........The lake was crowded but we had a good spot! Have fun it's really a beautiful spot!

Attachments

• Dio2008convict 036.jpg
    Dio2008convict 036.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23
  • ZachOnFire.jpg
    ZachOnFire.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 22
Great looking fish, was that on the south side? we've tried the south side many times without much success. We usually do real well on the north side. I am always amazed about the size and quality of fish that come out of that small lake.

Great looking fish, was that on the south side? we've tried the south side many times without much success. We usually do real well on the north side. I am always amazed about the size and quality of fish that come out of that small lake.

Yup! South side........the fish were schooling past us all day long. Bite was from 5am to when I finally went back to camp at 4:30 pm.

This is a campground we frequent. It is located at Lake Cornellia near Clarion, Ia and operated by the Wright County Conservation Commission. There are +/- 60 electrical sites, about 15 with full hook up. Sites themselves are gravel, each has a fire pit. Its first come first serve, but you can "tag" and pay for the site without have any equipment on it. If someone was coming this way I could tag a site for them in advance. The camp sites are $14/night for electric, $17/ for full hook up. Free wireless internet in some areas.

The lake is 640 acres with a docking area for picinicing or campers can leave their boat in the water overnight if they want ($5/night). Don't know how good the fishing is but there are walleye, catfish, perch, bullhead.

Attachments

• SSCN0184.JPG
    SSCN0184.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
  • SSCN0185.JPG
    SSCN0185.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 10
  • SSCN0188.JPG
    SSCN0188.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 8
Louisiana

If you are ever in northern Louisiana along I-20, Lincoln Parish Park (Ruston, LA) is a good place to stop. They have full hook-ups for $20 a night and the park is very wooded. It is located on a small lake/pond that you can fish in.

It has one of the top 10 mountain bike trails in the nation. We ride there all the time and if you like to ride, it is definitely worth it. Be ready though. It is pretty tough in some places. There is a beginner trail, if desired.

See ya on the trails.

When I am able to go I go up on HI-way 14 west of Ft Collins on the Poudre River and stay at either Kelly Flats, or the next one east which is Mountain Home, right on the river, most of the sites are dry camp with some at MH having electrical now but if you did not reserve it before Memorial day then you will not likely get a power site this season. Then another favorite is up near Grand Lake called Timber Creek. No reservations needed as there is a lot of turnover every morning and so the sites are available. On the Colorado RIver near the headwaters so you can walk over the river in spots. Labor day is my favorite as the elk come thru the campground and nose around so you can watch them out the window.

BuckTail Camp Ground Pa.

In Middle Pa. up near Ny line ....Awesome for all kids even those older one's during The the halloween weekends The hole place is lit up. Trick or treating on sat nites. Spook hunts sat afternoons it is just awesome. Some of the camp site's do it up Bigg with scare trails and spook tours I'll try and find a link. I wish we were still in driving distance............:yikes:
http://www.bucktailcamping.com/index2.html

This is a campground we frequent. It is located at Lake Cornellia near Clarion, Ia and operated by the Wright County Conservation Commission. There are +/- 60 electrical sites, about 15 with full hook up. Sites themselves are gravel, each has a fire pit. Its first come first serve, but you can "tag" and pay for the site without have any equipment on it. If someone was coming this way I could tag a site for them in advance. The camp sites are $14/night for electric, $17/ for full hook up. Free wireless internet in some areas.

I might have to take you up on that next yr.:thumbsup: We usually go close to home on the weekends because of getting out of work late.

We spent a few weekends at Prairie Flower @ Saylorville Lake North of Des Moines. A lot of space between camp sites. I would rank it a solid 8+.

Being a Roller Coaster Enthusiasts I have come to love Cedar Point campground in Oh. along with Hershey Parks campground in Pa. also in Pa. is Knoebels campground, and just about any campgound in Wisconsin Dells.

Ramblers Rest RV resort 10

We went there over Christmas. Awesome park. On the Myakka river in North Port Fl. large pool , close to beaches , watch out for gators.....:eek:

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
Back