• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What tuner for 2007 F150 5.4?

Wrecker

The Oil Geek
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is looking to tune his 07 5.4 Triton F150. He's looking for mileage primarily, power second. Any thoughts?

I just gave him your number Pat.

i had an edge chip on my ol ford 4.6, but i know they made one for the 5.4 also.i have to say i didnt see much power or mpg gain with it

Ford gas engines can actually gain quite a bit from a simple tune. XCal seems to work wonders for them.

I run a Hypertech in my 4.6 and it made a HUGE difference in low end beans. It wasnt nearly as sluggish and actually made it rather snappy. My seat-o-the-pants meter said it made a noticeable difference in torque. I didnt feel any top end power. Hypertech's dyno said 19 h.p. and 39 lb ft which aint too shabby for $300. The only thing I dont like is that I have to run premium. I guess they dont offer an 87 octane tune, that I know of...Maybe in the newer models...I dont know.

The Edge Evolution is the best bang for the buck. We can get him a custom sct xcal3, but you will only see a couple more ponies out of it, and you dont get all the functions as the edge. Not sure if your guy called or not Ashton but thanks. We sell alot of those.

Deffinetly the edge evolution. We sell a great deal of them under what most companies buy them for.

Ford gas engines can actually gain quite a bit from a simple tune. XCal seems to work wonders for them.

I run a Hypertech in my 4.6 and it made a HUGE difference in low end beans. It wasnt nearly as sluggish and actually made it rather snappy. My seat-o-the-pants meter said it made a noticeable difference in torque. I didnt feel any top end power. Hypertech's dyno said 19 h.p. and 39 lb ft which aint too shabby for $300. The only thing I dont like is that I have to run premium. I guess they dont offer an 87 octane tune, that I know of...Maybe in the newer models...I dont know.

The Hypertech Max Energy for the 04+ F-150s has tunes for both regular and premium fuel.

Here is a dyno graph so you can see the gains from both tunes vs. stock.
04f150.jpg

I paid $300 for an Edge Evolution and it felt like I dropped a new engine in! I have been able to get 0 - 60 down to 6.9 seconds and went from 8 or 9 mpg to 12 - 15 mpg, and I have NEVER used anything other than regular in my F 150. Even with the programmer in extreme mode there are no knocks or pings - just squealin' tires if I don't keep my foot out of it. I now run about 20% throttle most of the time when I do go on the highway (not to often I live close to work and the CHP substation) and that keeps it at about 70 MPH. Now I need to go to a track and see what one these will really do. The thing I like most about it is when you do pull a trailer, just put it in twoing mode. If you forget (I did once) you will FEEL the difference an empty uhaul trailer felt like I was pulling a big rig down the street.

Just got back from Scottsdale AZ 500 miles each way with lots of hills, with the programmer in "Economy" trans only mode and the Volant CAI installed I got 18 mpg on the highway. ONLY used regular (87 octane) the whole trip. Never knocked or pinged even under heavy acceleration. Didn't have much of a load just luggage for my wife and myself for 2 weeks and an icechest. but kept it at 70 - 75 almost all the way. Even in the lowest tune I was able to out accelerate everyone that was rude enough to not let me change lanes. Got some really surprised looks from people when the tires broke loose at 60 mph!! I love it!! Now I just need to wait for the warranty to run out in December and it will be time to supercharge this beast!

Back