• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What Kinda Crap Is This?!

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
So since I got the Cummins and it's an '06, it belongs on EFI.

So I Contact a Cummins EFI Tuner to see what all I need. We go over what I have and what I don't. At the end of everything it would Cost me about $900 to Upgrade me to the Cummins / Duramax EFI Setup. That would give me the Capability to Tune the Cummins and that Price comes with 4 Tunes.

OR...I can Buy the Spade Tuner, that'll come with 4 Tunes as well, I just won't be able to Adjust them myself, I'll have to E-mail my Changes then wait to get them back, then Re-upload them into the Truck.

So Basically I have to start from Scratch with EFI if I want to be able to Tune / make Adjustments myself.

I dunno? To me, that doesn't sound right that I would have to Start from Scratch. I mean, I already have the Software & Handheld.

What do you guys think?

It's $450 to upgrade your existing GM V2 to be able to do CUMMINS(comes with 2 VIN licenses for that). And if you have a black V2 it will only be able to do 06+, to do the 03-05(if/when they finally offer it) you will need the newer blue V2.

It's $450 to upgrade your existing GM V2 to be able to do CUMMINS(comes with 2 VIN licenses for that). And if you have a black V2 it will only be able to do 06+, to do the 03-05(if/when they finally offer it) you will need the newer blue V2.

I think it should just be the $100 to Buy a new VIN License and that's it.

What is there going to be, that's so different, that would justify the $450 Price Tag?

I think it should just be the $100 to Buy a new VIN License and that's it.

What is there going to be, that's so different, that would justify the $450 Price Tag?

I don't have efiLive, but if they go through a similar process as other tuning software developers each different vehicle has hundreds of hours development in it. It can even be a different definition file from one year to the next.

Some of the OBDII vehicles you also have to pay a licensing fee to the OEM's to be able to access enough info to generate those definition files.

Those fees can be quite high and are added to the hundreds of hours labor costs.

This is likely the costs you are paying out for what is essentially another product.

That it uses the same hardware is just a cost savings for you (the hardware is actually the cheapest part).

Not saying this is exactly whats happening, but it's probably at least part of what you're not seeing behind the scenes here.

Just my .02

I agree James. That is very high, seeing that you already have the tuner. You just need the license. Most Dodge guys use the smarty tuner. It is pretty safe.

It's just how they decided to do it. I agree the price seems a bit high, but it is what it is. And looks like you haven't bought a VIN license recently as they are now $125(unless you're a dealer).

Back