• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What could of happened... ?

yuliank

Reaction score
I've got a 99 6.5 diesel 2500 GMC Suburban. Got a bunch of issues with it, but the latest is electrical. I had to dig under the steering column and found out that some wires were cut, spliced, and simply screwed up. So, on the two wires that are coming from the ignition switch, yellow and orange with a stripe, they were cut and reconnected with a 150 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor. I cut it out, connected wires back together, car don't start. Reversed everything back to its 'original' state, no change... So, my suv is parked in a no parking zone, and I can't start it to move it.... Any one has any idea on what could be the damage, or where do they go, or ... else... Thanks anyways.

Theft-Deterrent (Passlock II)? I think there's a post somewhere about how to re-set that. Soldering in a resistor is one way to bypass that, but it can cause other issues.

Does it turn over OK, just not fire?

Does your glow plug light (Wait to start) come on like normal, and stay on for 8-10 seconds?

Does white smoke come out of the exhaust while cranking?

Crack loose an injector line (driver's side) and see if any fuel bubbles out while cranking.

I'll see if I can find the post on how to re-set the Theft-deterrent.

Try this:

30 Minute Learn Procedure (requires no tools)
1) Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2) Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. (engine will not start)
3) Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4) Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5) Repeat setps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 minutes). The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Comes from this thread:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...-but-doesn-t-start.&highlight=theft-deterrent

Thanks a bunch. I did the passlock reset, and it worked. But now my security light stays on after vehicle runs... ? Is this something to be concerned with??? What would of happened if I didn't solder the resistor back on, would it worked the same way?

Back