• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What could happen? Help

Amsoil makes three different transmission fluids.

Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid
( APPLICATIONS AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

• GM DEXRON® III-H
• Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
• Chrysler ATF+4®

Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS.

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is backward compatible and replaces DEXRON® III fluids in older GM automatic transmissions. (DEXRON® VI specification supersedes the obsolete DEXRON® III in GM vehicles.)

Torque-Drive® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Recommended for use in applications specifying Allison® TES-295 or C4, DEXRON® III, MERCON®, Voith G-1363, ZF® TE-ML 14C)

It is interesting to note that Amsoil recommends the Torque drive for 295 and Dex III

I used the Fuel efficient one and will use the Torque Drive next time. (It will a couple of years or more to get another 50 K mi on it.

I was not aware of this Barry. Thanks for the updated info. I thought they only made Torque Drive. Go figure.

I like Dex 3. I do not like Dex 6 as it was never tested in a cold room and destroyed quite a few Alli's in Canada a few years ago. Next they found Dex 6 was not compatible with the Allison Viton front seal and Allison had to change the compound. Dex 6 was attacking the front seal and causing leaks. What other surprises are we going to see with Dex 6?
I do not blame Allison for not approving Dex 6 and I wouldn't flush my toilet with it.

Mike ,whats your opinion on the mobil 1 synthetic. Its supposedly alllison approved. I've been runnning it for several years now with no problems.

question on dex6

what do you recommend i do, i did a full service 6 months ago and i used castrol in my tranny should i rechange it again or leave it till the next time its castrol semi synthetic dex6 approved, i do tow a 5vr in the summer months its not that heavy its around 10,000lbs gross weight thanks mike

what do you recommend i do, i did a full service 6 months ago and i used castrol in my tranny should i rechange it again or leave it till the next time its castrol semi synthetic dex6 approved, i do tow a 5vr in the summer months its not that heavy its around 10,000lbs gross weight thanks mike
I'm in the same boat as you Mike. I guess sometime in the next couple of months I'm gonna do the 'Hoot' method and go to all Transynd.

dex6

is it really a good idea to change or is there another gm engineer that got a brain fart or a payoff to say that we can no longer use this oil,wow did we all damage our transmissions and now they want to run from their f>>k up and come out with a new service bull. to blame the issues on the individual owner and not the big corp,what a bunch of crap,i wonder what our friend mike thinks about this he does alot of rebuilds,my friend has been in the tranny bussiness for 20 years but has done no allisons so he could not comment on this subject.

is it really a good idea to change or is there another gm engineer that got a brain fart or a payoff to say that we can no longer use this oil,wow did we all damage our transmissions and now they want to run from their f>>k up and come out with a new service bull. to blame the issues on the individual owner and not the big corp,what a bunch of crap,i wonder what our friend mike thinks about this he does alot of rebuilds,my friend has been in the tranny bussiness for 20 years but has done no allisons so he could not comment on this subject.

GM still says to only use DEX6 even though it has been proven to cause damage to early ALLISONs and other failures with even new units. ALLISON is the one that issued the bulletin to NOT use DEX6 as there testing has shown it to not be a good lubricant largely in part due to the failures that Mike L talked about in cold weather. ALLISON will NOT warranty an ALLISON tranny with DEX6 in it, but GM warranties the ALLISON in the pick-up trucks so they don't care about ALLISON's bulletin regarding GM's new latest and greatest trans fluid. Just remember this, GM makes money by seling new trucks and service work, ALLISON makes there money off of FLEET's where reliability and longevity are key.

dex6

the castrol dex6 that i used is called a premium synthetic blend formula,approved by gm for dex6 vehicles also exceeds for dex111 h,111,11e,11 i would assume they call it a blend so it must be semisynthetic what a jackpot gm doen't care they will make money on repairs

I changed the stock Dex III in our 05 to Torque-Drive a few years ago at 50k, had no issues. I also have it in my 03 Bonneville's trans and it's still pink and fresh, even after tons of burnouts and spirited driving. ;)

I have been running Torque drive in mine since around 75k. It's been good. Before that I had limped my trans on the 100 hp Predator tune. I have been running 65 and 85 with the Torque drive and no limps yet. If not that it would be Transynd. I guess I'll have to talk my dad into a flush since that Dex VI is garbage. Thanks for all the replies! It's threads like this with all the info that make sites like this great!

Jared, If I recall correctly, you aren't supposed to flush an Allison. I believe that all comes from the bazillion posts about it back at DP in the early years.

No flush. Just add the better fluid. Then change again to get to the 100% synthetic fluid. I will be going to all Transynd very shortly. I still have the stock fluid. :eek:

Jared, If I recall correctly, you aren't supposed to flush an Allison. I believe that all comes from the bazillion posts about it back at DP in the early years.

DOn't know about that Mike as the local Allison big truck shop has a machine for flushing them and If the machine my local shop had couldn't handle the line pressures of the allison then I would have taken it to that dealer...

IIRC most "Lube shop" transmission flushing machines can't(or couldn't at the time I got my truck)handle the line pressures of the Allison so the machine mfrs. wouldn't sell them an adapter for our line size to do the flush...

since then I know BG's flushing machine was upgraded to handle that and ther haven't been any problems that I have heard of...My first flush was with transynd using the Hoot method done with my supervision at the Local Lube Shop I trust...they'll do anything I ask/tell them to do....
I just made them drain the transfer case and fill it with 3 1/2qts. 5/30 Mobil synthetic through the speed sensor hole...they were like "OK" and just did what they were told...:thumbsup:

That's good news on the flush Paul. I couldn't remember the reasoning of it. I'm gonna do the Hoot flush sometime this summer. I've done the TC 5w30 M1 change twice now. At 155k and still no pump rub... yet. :hihi:

Hmm, with all the reading I did on DP I never heard not to flush it. I followed a write-up on how to do it though and it went well. Kind-of a 2 man operation. I think it may have been the "Hoot meathod" as well.

Ok, so can someone reiterate specifically what fluid I should be using in my '04?

Or, a list of proper fluids from different manufacturers? I don't want to be using crap in this thing, 160k on the ticker and I'd like it to keep on tickin :)

Thanks!

Back