• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Weird Low Coolant

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
I know this sounds suspect but I am asking this for a friend.

Is it possible to have a low coolant sensor fail and give a false indication? She has the reservoir slightly above the proper full line but it's giving a low coolant indication. Prior to filling it today which took less than one quart, it had previously flickered the low coolant light but came on steady yesterday.

Externally it shows no leaks and doesn't steam on startup.

I'm thinking it's a bad sensor. Anyone?

I need more self fixing stuff. I'm going to ask her to try unplugging it and evaluating it both connected and jumped.

Mine does the same thing when it's cold out. After driving a few minutes it goes out; doesn't do it in warm weather though.

What kind of coolant do you use ?

Mine was showing false when I was using water + water wetter. It goes back normal as soon as I put back green coolant + water wetter.

Also, while driving on bad roads or off road, it usually light up the low coolant light as the truck is being "shacked"

Last edited:
The prob with the sensor is........it is a continuty switch so with some additives (water wetter) it coats the conatcts so it will give you false low coolant readings. You might try taking the sensor aout and cleaning it off and see what happens but it could be bad internally.

Still check for leaks. If it goes down less than a quart, there is a small leak. Watch for coolant drip in the morning under the truck. Is this diesel truck? or gasser?

Still check for leaks. If it goes down less than a quart, there is a small leak. Watch for coolant drip in the morning under the truck. Is this diesel truck? or gasser?

:iagree:
Yep do this first. check to see if the water pump is seeping too.

Back