• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Weighing my options...

MrFleming007

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence here on my future purchase. I'm looking at two options- a '95-'99 6.5l Suburban, or a '00-'02 Suburban Gasser, 5.3l. Here is my question for you guys. What would you say your first year maintenance and upgrade costs were for your 6.5ls? I'm going to be working on a budget so I'm trying to weigh out the fuel cost/ maintenace on a 6.5l vs. the fuel cost/ maintenance on a later model gasser.

Thanks Guys! :D

you will most likely (almost guaranteed) have to put a PMD on it unless it's been relocated already. they can be had for like 3-400$ including a good cooler and no warranty, or almost double that for a 7 year warranty from heath diesel these are very prone to failure in these trucks and it is a necessary upgrade. How many KMs are on the trucks you're looking at? thats a significant factor in determining what they need. over 100k miles or 160k KM its recommended you replace injectors (and glows while youre in there). inj are about 500 ish for a set of QUALITY NEW injectors. Oil changes on the diesel will also be more because of the higher capacity. all in all these are good engines
if properly maintained
and if the mileage not too high. welcome and good luck in your search

You can get a good diesel Burb for cheap. Find the pre-purchase checklist on this site and don't skip a step!

Good luck!

In 2006 I bought a 94 k1500 6.5 TD. Total maintenance/upgrade costs for the truck for that year alone was $2037.59

In 2007, the maintenance costs were $779.21

In 2008, I totalled the 94 and bought a 95 k1500 6.5 TD. I moved most of my stuff over from the 94, but still had to spend money on tires and other things. Total cost in 2008 on maintenance/upgrades was $4460.14

In 2009, maintenance costs were around $600. Then I blew the truck to kingdom come in August.

These figures are not including the purchase price of the vehicles.

From a pure honest perspective, whenever you buy something used there are always hidden costs. Some of the costs are cheap, others are not.

From 06-mid 09 I spent around $8000 on maintenance/upgrades for two vehicles. Add in the purchase prices of $7000 each and I spent $22 000 on two vehicles in 3 years.

Take with the information what you will....I keep detailed records on everything....

Both 6.5 trucks I bought were money pits due to useless previous owners. Never again will I buy a high mileage anything....

I bought my truck in 2006 from a friend needing money for his divorce. I got it for $2500. The only maintenance cost I had for the first year and a half was oil changes, oil, air, and fuel filters and tires. Then the FSD which was around $250 and OPS (3) for about $40 each. Then I had transmission problems which was about $750. Then I changed injectors and glows for about $600. That is about all the required cost that I have had on the truck.

I bought and installed EGT and boost gauges on the a-pillar they were like $250. I installed a high idle switch which was about $20 and a TCC lock up switch which cost about the same.

All in all my truck hasn’t cost me much at all other than regular maintenance. I guess I have been lucky with a 15 year old truck. I would like to do the exhaust on it but I have had medical issues that have kept me with limited resources this year. So any other upgrades just have to wait till things are better.

I do use the truck everyday. And I pull a 16 foot utility trailer with it. Loaded most of the time with landscaping and lawn equipment. I’m not a hot rodder but I don’t drive it like a old man either.

So I guess I am on the other side of the coin as Chrisk1500.

Just my .02

I think you need to separate needed maintenance from upgrades. You need the PMD relocation and cooler. If you buy a truck with over 150,000 miles like I did you'll need injectors, at least some if not all glows, possibly an IP. I don't count consumables like tires and brakes, you'll spend the same on these whichever vehicle you choose.

You don't need a performance chip, or 4" exhaust, etc., those are buys you make only if you want to.

In the end I think you'll find you'll save many thousands in purchase price of the mid '90's 6.5 vs. the early '00's gas. The parts for the diesel will be paid for easily with that savings. Do you like diesels? If so, you should go with the 6.5 and have some fun with it.

2X on the pre purchase checklist; Better if you can know the original owner and you get to be the second owner. History is everything, IMO. I bought mine when diesel was over $5 / Gallon, book was $7,000, paid $2600 IIRC. Made my own version of the heath FSD cooler and bought a new Dipaco unit online; $210.
Used ones with "guarantee" are on flea-bay from $69 (edam) or less, if you're a gambler.
I'd stick with the vendors here on this site, as they are tried and true. Replacing all fluids and filters ASAP should be counted into the price of ANY used vehicle. Unless reciepts are provable, assume things may not have been done; I'm not as trusting as some. Cleaning the cooling stack goes with other free or cheap upgrades, if you like doing your own mods. I made my own TM using the existing vac. can, for example, and the stock intake can be modified for better flow. Many variables.

If you're going to tow, these trucks are much more economical than gassers. This is my 3rd Suburban, and wish they had all been diesels.

My used vehicle purchases always get new brakes on all corners, oil change, new filters, coolant flush, transmission flush, plugs (spark or glow), etc. just to ensure there is a maintanence baseline and remove any doubt about 'when and what was last done.'
my .02.

Thanks guys! Very helpful information. I should have mentioned that I did also have a '97 6.5l dually about four years ago and loved it. Would still have that truck, but the kids are getting bigger- hence the 'burban.

Now the trick is actually finding one! They are a bit of a rarity up here in the Pacific Northwest...

Fluid replacement cost should not be a factor because both type of suburbans bought should be changed anyway.

You will probably have more chance to find a gasser suburban with lower mileage and younger than the diesel. The first year of a gasser maintenance may be lower than the diesel since they are newer.

However, you are in WA which is the home of Heath Diesel which can probably help you with the diesel. He is the expert in 6.5 diesel and how to make it reliable.

It depends... If you plan on towing get the Diesel.

Either way find a clean used vehicle. My 96 has been easy as pie and low maintenance... The 99 Burb on the other hand was not well cared for and it has ended up costing a lot more in repairs than I like to admit.

Also as time passes you will want to do some upgrades like gauges, exhaust (especially down pipe), and performance chip. The PMD relocation is mandatory IMO.

They are tough trucks and I really like the CK body style.

FWIW my wife has a 05 Escalade and we still have the 99 Burb for a toy hauler. I MUCH prefer the Burb to the Escalade. It is just more comfortable. Now the Escalade is much faster (HO 6.0 345HP), but the interior is cheap.

I think both can be good, but it depends on your needs.

After my initial purchase of my 'Burb in '98. I had to do mods to cool it off while towing. That was at 50K miles. Now has 160K miles and I'm doing cooling uprgrade again. In between, it was the normal stuff like FSD, IP, brakes, etc. I'd say that there are always a lot of little things going wrong, like interior handles breaking, the side mirrors no longer work, etc. All that said, I bought the rig for towing and that it does cheaply vs a gasser. I also use it for off roading and camping, both of which it does well. I expect that the engine will go 300K miles and no gasser 'Burb will do that.

Get the 6.5 of course.........

The gasser once you have it, thats it, its all done... boring ol' gasser........

The diese, so much you can do down the road... so much better overall... so much better mileage.... And with a forum like this how can you go wrong?

Also, banks evaluate these things a ton higher than street value... that may help you somehow.

Back