• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Under hood light bulb

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I learned i need to buy an underhood bulb for my '95 the other day. Because my hood was open I decided to take it out and put it on the bench where I was working. That was evidently the day the bench needed cleaned off by someone so it found it's way to the trash. (Thankfully my new turbo was in another location)

OEM part number is 142454. What is the replacement number? 13 watt I think.

I learned i need to buy an underhood bulb for my '95 the other day. Because my hood was open I decided to take it out and put it on the bench where I was working. That was evidently the day the bench needed cleaned off by someone so it found it's way to the trash. (Thankfully my new turbo was in another location)

OEM part number is 142454. What is the replacement number? 13 watt I think.
are you talking about the bulb fixture that attaches to the hood or just the bulb? my 95 just uses a 1156 single filament bulb. the fixture it's self has what I think is a mercury switch in it somewhere so it turns off when the hood is closed. if you have a pick a part yard near by they should be the same from 94 up to 98. you might even score the nicer ones where the bulb is attached to a crank-up reel on a wire.

looking up a quick search it seems that Tahoe's Yukon's S-10's and some GM cars like the corvette used the same light fixture if you want to go with the factory one.

It is either a 94 base (possibly 121 for brighter output) or 1156. Am leaning to the 94 / 121.

This is one application where it is tough to justify the extra cost of LED over filament.

The extra light output from a LED is nice, but the location is not all that friendly to the LED as it does not like heat.

Better application is getting something like a LED puck or wand with magnets. Reasoning is that chances are good the under-hood insulation is long gone and there are now plenty of places to place the device where the magnets will do their job. Bonus is keeping the device in the cab where it can do wider duty than just under the hood.

For color, I find that 5000 Kelvin is a good color as it helps visually identify objects better than the 3000 Kelvin range.

Found it. Bulb is a 93 base. 94 and 121 will also work as they are the same base size, but have more light output.

No need to get this bulb from a dealer. Any big box auto parts store will work. WallyWorld probably has it on the shelf too.

Back