• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turn Signal Switch Return Does Not Work on Left Turns

Big T

Reaction score
This is on the '94. Turn signals themselves work, but the signal arm does not return to off after left turns, forcing you to do it manually.

Do I need to replace the turn signal switch in the steering column? If so, how hard is it to do?

You need the lock plate compressor tool rented for this. Steering wheel puller: some gear or damper pullers work. Mark the steering wheel and shaft before removal!

The horn brush assembly has a cam on it to cancel the turn signals via a two springs. One spring per directional signal.

Look to see what's broken or out of adjustment. Sometimes it's just the spring broke. New parts may need the springs tweaked to work. I have to go back into mine for the same problem as it's repair didn't last long.

The hardest part is getting the wire plug pulled through the column. In depth pictures of what you are getting into:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/th...around-one-corner-too-many.42452/#post-477286

Before that...

Press the Rubber aside or make a small Hole and spray WD 40 or something else...

Move the Lever a few Times up and down and see whether it has changed...

Gunar

From my experience with the early columns, it's normally the plastic cam on the column the trips the canceller that strips and looses the catch the trips the canceller. It's not a bad job, but the lock plate can be a pain, as well as watch the horn button pass through as I've seen more than a few get broken doing this job. If it's a tilt column, I would also tear it down past the turn signal switch to get to the 4 external torx bolts that hold the tilt pins together, remove them 1 at a time, blue loctite them, and re-install them. Most problems with slack in these columns is those bolts loosening up, and I've seen quite a few come loose. You're most of the way there with the turn signal switch out to pull them and blue loctite them.

Back