• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo mouthpieces

Randy_the_Hack

Reaction score
Hi all...

A few weeks ago I stepped up to the plate and replaced my stock LLY turbo mouthpiece with an LBZ Kodiak mouthpiece. Man, what a huge difference! I've been working a huge thread on DP dealing with this and a dozen other similar mods. Just wondered if anyone over here has taken the plunge?

The versions I'm aware of are as follows:

1. Modified stock LLY mp/LLY stock intake - Grind down the sharp edges of the internal stock mp. The design of the stock mp is so terrible that even 15 minutes with a dremel can make a very noticeable difference. Cost - free (if you have a dremel).
  2. LBZ mp/LLY stock intake - Replacing the stock mp with an LBZ mp. The LBZ mp is larger on the intake end (4") than the stock mp (3.5"), so the only way to make this work is to hacksaw a few inches off of the intake and use either a plumbing joint/coupler or a silicone intercooler boot to bridge between the mp and the intake. The LBZ mp has both resonator and PCV ports, so you can do whatever you had on your stock mp. Cost - $68-$195 (most $115 - $135). Currently pretty much out of stock US-wide, though they are supposed to become available later this month.
  3. LBZ mp/LBZ stock intake - Same as above, except no hacksaw required, 'cause it all fits together. The downside is the LBZ intake filters are $45-$60, IIRC. No clue how much the LBZ stock intake costs.
  4. LBZ Kodiak mp/LLY stock intake - The LBZ Kodiak mp fits the LLY stock intake, though the combination of the two cause the intake to be slightly mis-aligned. Fortunately, the bellows/accordion take care of that. The LBZ Kodiak mp does not have a resonator port, though it does have a PCV port. So... there's a little less disruption of airflow. The downside is that unless you go to extreme measures, the resonator is staying off. If you intend to use propane injection, you probably don't want this solution since most of the kits out there dump the propane in the resonator port. Cost - $68 - $195 (most $115 - $135). Also pretty much out of stock US-wide... again, supposedly becoming available later this month.
  5. LBZ Kodiak mp/LBZ stock intake - This is an odd combination, 'cause the LBZ Kodiak mp intake side is too small to fit in the LBZ stock intake. Would require a plumbing joint/coupler. You'd be much better getting an LBZ mp.
Other possible solutions:

1. Some combination of one of the above listed mp's and some aftermarket/custom intake.
  2. An aftermarket mp or complete intake/mp (TxC and a couple others are reportedly working on aftermarket mp's, aftermarket intakes, or complete solutions). The only one I know of at this time is offered by KillerBee, and his solution, IIRC, is essentially a modified LBZ full solution. I'm not offering any opinions, just reporting what I know/have heard. I believe KB's complete solution runs around $300. TxC claims his solution is a few weeks off and will kick the butt of every solution currently out there, and will be under $300.
The bottom line is that the stock LLY mp is dreadfully restrictive. Solving this problem makes a huge difference in performance and a very noticeable difference in mileage (.5 to 1 mpg or more).

Some pics...

First, a comparison of the three mp's currently available (theoretically), courtesy wilsonck on DP:

Threemps1.jpg

Threemps2.jpg

Now... my truck:
P8230162.jpg

P8230165.jpg

P8230167.jpg

I've never heard of that Randy.

That's good info! Thanks for posting it up..:)

I am somewhat new to the duramax and have a 05 lly.I still have some factory warranty and do not want loose it.I have a lbz mouthpiece and would love to put it on .will this cause trouble?with gm

I bought one and received it for 28.91 I was wondering if I put it on if it would void my factory warranty?2005 lly I have 13 months left 3500cc 4x4regency conversion.

I have an 05 GMC LLY that I put a Banks CAI, Banks 6 gun tuner, and Banks exhaust. I also blocked off the EGR. I'm looking at doing this mouthpiece mod, and also the PCV mod, but I'm an amateur at any meaningful wrenching. I read beekiller's report and it makes sense.
A few questions:
Will it work with the banks CAI?
Will it help?
Will I have to cut the banks CAI?
Should I buy the larger boost tubes as well?
What would you guys recommend as far as mods to improve the mileage of the LLY?

I also saw another mod on another forum titled "LLY P1093 Shim Mod" and wasn't sure if this applied to this.

Since this post was already here about modifying the air intake, I ended up ordering an AFE intake off of e-bay and it was suppose to be for the LB7 but i think it is either for an lly or even newer duramax. Can I get away with buying the LLY intake pipe and use it on my LB7.

Back