• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Master.....Reduce boost for better economy?

94turbo-

Reaction score
I built a turbo master device for my 94, and I am very happy with the results, and I realize that if driven wrong I will use more fuel, I did build it for pulling power. However, has anyone reduced the boost for economy? My assumption is that you should be able to reduce boost to a certain point (loosing power in the process) increasing MPG, until other factors take over and you loose MPG? If this is the case, how much Increase could you gain? Even better, if a few MPG is achievable, could you build a mechanical cam-spring preloader (like a VW diesel cold start device) to give best of both worlds?

I'd rather have a user selectable chip to control MPG/power, but being a OBD1 I can't seem to find any in that department.

from what I've read best boost for mpg is 0-2 on the flat level. there is a multi function chip available but it is hard to get ahold of the builder

The factory Vac control system is the best for this boost reduction at cruise concept - second to a wastegate free turbo. One of the members with a plow reduced his TM settings and improved his economy.

On a recent trip, I dropped my mph from 70 to 60, from 2500rpm to 2200rpm. Which brought cruising boost down from about a little over 4psi down to 1-2psi. May not seem like much but I went from 18.5-19mpg to 20.5mpg. Rpm's and boost play more of a role than I thought. But it does work. A lot o fuel economy can be had by simply changing driving styles.

I'm not worried. Not like I was driving to my destination with enthusiasm. Some towns you just can't help but hate going to.

So when the engine is at low revs, 1.5 k or so (actually from idle ) the computer throws low voltage out to the vac solenoid allowing exhaust to escape through the waste gate instead of building pressure. Whether or not 5-7 volts is enough to reduce the vac isn't much of an issue but it does affect the bottom end power. Now that I have a turbomaster I can feel and hear the turbo in action at low revs. My gauge shows I gained 2-3 psi tootling at 1500 rpm in 5th. I don't have to go to 4th now, hence it should save a little in the fuel dept. I matched the psi my gauge showed at 2400 rpm just before the boost drop off, reving above that I can now feel and hear the turbo work as well, I haven't pulled a load as yet to see that difference. To anyone on the fence about a Turbomaster..... Do it! You can drive responsibly and not push it to beyond factory settings. I am looking to build an up shift, or a reminder indicator that is wired to the vac solenoid to turn on at where waste gate opening would be max, With this i should be able to attain fuel economy close to original setup. (I like lights, my wife calls me a moth)

Back