• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck went "click" and now I have no power.

broenspie

Reaction score
1993 gmc k3500 6.5l turbo diesel. I had my battery disconnected today while I was working on my radio. When I was reconnecting my battery it arched a couple of times. When I got in the truck to start it everything was fine, I waited for the glow plug light to go off and then when I turned the key something went "click" and now I have no power. Nothing will light up or work. The batteries are good. I checked the fuses under the driver side dash and they are all good. Is there another fuse panel that I cant find? Or is there a main fuse locates some were else? Please help.

I pulled the silver 30amp ignition fuse and it gets power while the key is on. When I turn the ignition off it loses power, Im geussing this means that the ignition switch is still good. My fuse box under the dash has power but nothing in the truck will work. No lights at all.

Welcome!!!

On 95, there is the ECM fuse. I am not sure if it is under the dash or under the hood on 93. I am not sure if it even exist in 93.

Also check your grounds and cables. Sounds like something was causing a short if you hear a click.

***I know, I know!!!*** (voice of hard-won experience speaking here...)

You need to do the battery post mod - located in the 6.5 Technical Reference Library.

For now, take off all battery connections (do one side at a time so you don't lose settings), wire brush and clean them with baking soda/water mix. Put them back together and snug 'em up tight... I bet your problem will be solved.

Temporarily. For permanent, do the Battery Post Mod.

AND... welcome to The Truck Stop!! Please take a minute to fill out your signature so we know more about you and your truck. This here is the best plae on the web for the 6.5 owner... (all the best people hang out here!)

Oh Broenspie welcome :welcome8: to the Blessed Church of the 6.5 Resurrection Pastors TD & Jifaire at your service :)

Where we have been known to have gone Pentecostal & "laid hands" upon the ailing 6.5 and a hearty "Foul Demons Be-Gone" via the WWW we have healed many a ailing 6.5

Youll have to be a little more descriptive. You say nothing works. Does that mean there is not a single dash light, interior lights, radio, etc.. that comes on? Nothing at all works? The truck wont crank? The truck wont start?

Don't forget to ohm out the lead from the passengers side battery to the terminal block on the passengers side firewall, there is a fuse-able link in it.

fuse-able link

On the factory cable there is a fuseable link.

That's the battery end. The other end attaches here.

When I went to 00 welding cable instead of the pvc junk they sell at autoparts stores, I did away with the fuseable link, and added a 175 amp fuse between the battery + and the terminal block where the truck pics up power for everything. I ran a 4guage welding cable from the fuse to the terminal block. Mostly the fuse is only incase of a dead short:smile5:

Actually, re-reading your post, it sounds like you have bad connections at the battery. If the fuse-able link was blown, there shouldn't be any power to the truck at all. If its a bad connection at the battery, or a bad ground, you will show voltage and not be able to pull any current.

I got $10 on the connections... first time I ever saw that was on my truck, hooked to my 5th wheel, in a parking lot (campground) in Vegas. I had lights, I had radio, I had buzzers... then I turned the key.

Click.

Nada.

Couldn't even boost the damn thing. Thought I was pooched. GM dealer told me a battery had shorted out and I needed to replace batteries (all sight-unseen, of course). Finally, I decide to start tearing things apart... when I started taking the Passenger-side (+) battery post off, the radio fired up.

Hmmm.

That post has the crappy little copper washer and the dual cables.

More Hmmm.

So I cleaned everything all up and Vroom!

Since then, I've seen this maybe 30 times (counting having it happen to others on forums).

Battery-post mod, I'm tellin' ya.

Where did you get those mega fuse holder-post things please?

I got mine from eGay, they are a little on the big side, I got the 3/8" post. Had to file the mega just a little to fit. I wanted a big post for the 00 battery cables tying the batterys together, and the starter to the batterys. They were like 6 bucks each.

Back