• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck started fine then quit like it was shut off, wont restart

Snowshoecamp

Reaction score
I have a 2000 2500 4X4 that is used only as a plow truck. It has been working fine this year until today. I went to plow the road and started up the 6.5L beast. It fired right up and idled fine. When I was clearing the snow off the hood and window the engine stopped. It would crank over fine but wont start or even try to start. There is fuel at the TEE, I can hear the lift pump running like normal. There is voltage at the glow plugs. Is there something I am missing? Help

Fuel shut off solenoid is on the injector pump.

Pmd Pump Mounted Driver aka FSD fuel solenoid driver. Electronic box originally mounted on the injector pump. We learn this is a horrible location for it. you need to move it behind the front bumper on a heat sink, and a HIGH QUALITY extension cable.

http://leroydiesel.com/products/leroys-stanadyne-pmd-relocation-kit/

A spare Pmd is a REQUIREMENT for this engine. There is no way to test them other than replace with a known good unit. Think of it as a spare tire, keep one in your glove box at all times.

ever hook one up without using the heat sink thermal contact grease...it can burn out in less than a second

Fuel sol. is on the front of the IP (injection pump) It's about the diameter of a quarter and 2 1/2" high. You should be able to hear it click when the ign. is turned on. You could also unplug it with the ign. on to hear the click.

The PMD is the Pump Mounted Driver, it sends a signal for the injection pulse. The best way to check is with a known working spare.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/part-locations.9494/

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forums/6-2-and-6-5-technical-reference-library.218/

It could also be a plugged Injection Pump / IP return line. It comes off the front of the IP. Easy to check. Pull it off and run to a container. Then try to start the vehicle.

Also - with the lift pump jumpered - run about 1/2 gallon of fuel out the T drain and note the flow rate.

Do this regardless of it having anything to do with the truck running or not. Only takes a minute and can clear crud from your FFM / Fuel Filter Manager.

A Fuel Filter is only as good as you last tank of fuel

In my opinion, the PMD on the injection pump is as good a place as any and can be used until it dies.

To me it is just far easier to get an extension harness / heat sink kit from leroydiesel.com and install a new PMD to the inside of the bumper when the time comes.

I actually have my spares mounted inside the bumper on a separate heat sink also

One is mounted to each license plate bolt

I went out to try your suggestions this morning. It started right up and ran fine. Plowed the road with no issue. Will do some more checking per your suggestions as I suspect this will occur again

Possible you gelled the fuel. Check the fuel heater for continuity in the Fuel filter and related fuses.

Add some white Power Service to every tank in the winter. Where you are located It should be treated out of the tank / pump where you buy it, but it doesn't hurt to double dose by adding the minimum amount every tankful.

Back