• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans coolers....

I designed and made the Mike L. cooler kit for the 5 speeds. It uses a Setrab cooler and I believe it's part number was 945 but do not remember for sure. It requires a different fitting as the threads in the cooler are different than the stock cooler fittings. The Earl's cooler has the same thread size as the stock cooler fittings and from the looks of the cooler it appears to have been made by Setrab for Earl's. Earl's sells Setrab units as well. If you look on the old site you can find where RenoDmax did a DIY for it. Both of these coolers do about the same job and the temperature drops are pretty much the same. If you do not mine a little work you can save yourself about $200 by using the Earl's cooler.

I have told everyone for over 3 years that you designed the brackets for the cooler Steve. When are you going to stop patting yourself on the back? Why don't you tell everyone how you tripled the price of the fittings to me from JiffyTite while telling me you were getting me your cost? By the way the Setrab # is a 925. Seems you can't seem to get your facts right most of the time.
Setrab and Earls partnered up on some of the coolers a while back and then parted ways. The Earls cooler is a good one and almost identical to the Setrab. The meah is different and the warranty is different. I chose to use the same cooler as GM,Prosche, HarleyDavidson,Nascar,Indy, and many other big names that want the best.
Coolers are nothing but a small sideline for me and I will allways have them in stock. For the guys that go way back to the DP's early days; I posted that I was going to make a cooler for my Alli and I did. I got a lot of pm's asking me to make more and I did. The Earl's cooler will do a good job. Buy the one that suits you best and don't forget that STEVE COLE designed the brackets on my cooler.

I designed and made the Mike L. cooler kit for the 5 speeds. It uses a Setrab cooler and I believe it's part number was 945 but do not remember for sure. It requires a different fitting as the threads in the cooler are different than the stock cooler fittings. The Earl's cooler has the same thread size as the stock cooler fittings and from the looks of the cooler it appears to have been made by Setrab for Earl's. Earl's sells Setrab units as well. If you look on the old site you can find where RenoDmax did a DIY for it. Both of these coolers do about the same job and the temperature drops are pretty much the same. If you do not mine a little work you can save yourself about $200 by using the Earl's cooler.

Back to the REAL subject:

When you get goodies from Mike L, you are paying for 3 things:

Testing - Mike's stuff is all tested and found to be good stuff. I've never heard of anything Mike sells that isn't top rung. Most shops do little (if any) testing, because it's expensive, and if you find the product lacking, you are resigned to chucking it.

Service - Mike's is about the best I've come across in the aftermarket industry. If all shops had Mike's service, the world would be a better place.

Knowledge - Mike is constantly tinkering with our trucks, doing experiments and troubleshooting.

I say this based on extensive experience with Mike's shop and products. I never recommend anything I do not know to be the "right stuff".

Mike's cooler works excellent on our trucks, and perhaps is part of the reason we have had great luck with our transmissions, unlike some other trucks do. Heck, some trucks only get one 1/4mi per transmission. (hint, I'm quoting the perp)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back to the REAL subject:

When you get goodies from Mike L, you are paying for 3 things:

Testing - Mike's stuff is all tested and found to be good stuff. I've never heard of anything Mike sells that isn't top rung. Most shops do little (if any) testing, because it's expensive, and if you find the product lacking, you are resigned to chucking it.

Service - Mike's is about the best I've come across in the aftermarket industry. If all shops had Mike's service, the world would be a better place.

Knowledge - Mike is constantly tinkering with our trucks, doing experiments and troubleshooting.

I say this based on extensive experience with Mike's shop and products. I never recommend anything I do not know to be the "right stuff".

Mike's cooler works excellent on our trucks, and perhaps is part of the reason we have had great luck with our transmissions, unlike some other trucks do. Heck, some trucks only get one 1/4mi per transmission. (hint, I'm quoting the perp)

I have told everyone for over 3 years that you designed the brackets for the cooler Steve. When are you going to stop patting yourself on the back? Why don't you tell everyone how you tripled the price of the fittings to me from JiffyTite while telling me you were getting me your cost? By the way the Setrab # is a 925. Seems you can't seem to get your facts right most of the time.
Setrab and Earls partnered up on some of the coolers a while back and then parted ways. The Earls cooler is a good one and almost identical to the Setrab. The meah is different and the warranty is different. I chose to use the same cooler as GM,Prosche, HarleyDavidson,Nascar,Indy, and many other big names that want the best.
Coolers are nothing but a small sideline for me and I will allways have them in stock. For the guys that go way back to the DP's early days; I posted that I was going to make a cooler for my Alli and I did. I got a lot of pm's asking me to make more and I did. The Earl's cooler will do a good job. Buy the one that suits you best and don't forget that STEVE COLE designed the brackets on my cooler.

Sweeeeeeeeet! Just like old times:D Where's the popcorn!):h

What funny is the testing was done right here at my shop by me, not you Pat and not Mike. I design the mounting system and got the fittings made. Then set Mike up with our nut and bolt supplier and box supplier. What more could I do other than box them and ship them for him. Sure is funny how it's his cooler when it's an off the shelf Setrab unit that was purchased at Earl's Supply on Hawthorne Blvd. Then when someone else's makes a mounting kit for a cooler you guys jump his shit every chance you get. Maybe if you had done one yourself you would have something to talk about but you didn't!

The Earl's cooler works just as well as the Setrab does so you all can spend the money and buy the one Mike sells or buy the Earl's and do a little work and save yourself a few hundred dollars, it's your choice as there is no difference but a lighter wallet.

What funny is the testing was done right here at my shop by me, not you Pat and not Mike. I design the mounting system and got the fittings made. Then set Mike up with our nut and bolt supplier and box supplier. What more could I do other than box them and ship them for him. Sure is funny how it's his cooler when it's an off the shelf Setrab unit that was purchased at Earl's Supply on Hawthorne Blvd. Then when someone else's makes a mounting kit for a cooler you guys jump his shit every chance you get. Maybe if you had done one yourself you would have something to talk about but you didn't!

The Earl's cooler works just as well as the Setrab does so you all can spend the money and buy the one Mike sells or buy the Earl's and do a little work and save yourself a few hundred dollars, it's your choice as there is no difference but a lighter wallet.

You made the brackets but you did no testing except for the cooler you have on your truck. Guy Tripp did the testing; you remember him don't ya? Do you really think I couldn't get the bolts by myself? Yes you gave me their phone number for the bolts and now you want a pat on the back for that. Why was the price tripled on the fittings Steve after you told me I was getting your cost? I see now why you are hanging with the Dodge guys cause there are very few Duramax guys that you haven't burned. How are your trans kits doing? I see IdahoRob is now a Suncoast dealer; imagine that.

I cant believe this shit is spilling here too.

Thanks guys, we certainly appreciate it. :wtf: :rolleyes:

This thread is going places.

munch.gif

Nice to see we are getting some excellent tech advice around here!

hidesbehindsofa.gif

I cant believe this shit is spilling here too.

Thanks guys, we certainly appreciate it. :wtf: :rolleyes:

I read this thread from Post #1. Only after DieselTick fired a second BS Bomb did I return fire.

DieselTech first posts to use Setrab or Earl's. Neither makes a Dmax bolt-on kit that I've seen. Nor does he run Setrab or Earl's. He runs a MikeL.

So a blind recommendation on a product not for us. Wonderful.

Next, he claims to have invented the L-bracket as well as nuts and bolts. And suggests the reader build their own setup, yet puts down no concrete parts list or instructions. Of course claiming he tests things he didn't, which is his hallmark.

All the DieselTech posts in here are crap. Zero help to reader, simple stabs at perhaps the most helpful Allison guy on the planet. Why? Just for fun. He hates most Dmax guys, so his spiteful essays are chocked full of half-truths and outright fabrications, but have zero substance. Ever see a DieselTech tutorial? Ever see him truthfully list testing data? In over 4 years, I haven't.

But in classic form, he is allowed free rein in his venomous activities, and it's only when he's called to task that folk get their feather's ruffled.

I'm a consumer of Allison goods and services. More so than most. I have experience testing this stuff towing cross country, sled pulling, dyno'g, drag racing, and daily driving. My opinion on whether a product is good or bad is based on real world experience.

DieselTech's opinion is based on nothing but dislike for others. Can't write an owners manual that way:

"Our condolences on your new vehicle purchase. You should have bought a Ford. I and my team of engineers tested this new truck and found it to be a joke. When I invented the GM pickup, it was perfect, but now it sucks. You should build your own if you really want one. It's really simple, and should only take a couple minutes and $1.95."

Normally what will happen at this stage, is DieselTech will give out free stuff to the staff to get them on his side. But in the process, any true tech will get chased off the board.

I'm saying you should nip this kind of behavior in the bud, before it wrecks your board, like it did the last one. There is no place on an enthusiast board for someone who hates Dmax guys. DieselTech is a cancer in the Dmax community and needs radiation.

I don't think anyone here is giving "ANYONE" free reign...I for one am glad MikeL defended himself/his product...no one said he could not...

only think wrong with the posts seems to be the name calling...

My question is...is all the information out there now...?(about the cooler only)

has everyone posted there rebuttals?

Is the whole truth now out for all too see ? (about the cooler only)

if so...let the members decide what they want to do with the information now in front of them...

I'm new to this thing and really am trying to stay looking at things from a members perspective...because I am a member first... so bear with me on this ...Please.

Pepp

In the spirit of this being a new site and all...

One general warning goes out:

No insults...and I do not care what your status is (Vendor or Not)...Next one out gets the warning, post deleted, and thread closed.

This is as clear as I get.

Feel free to post with facts, not rhetoric. No name calling. If you cannot post without being civil, then do not.

The truth is the cooler was purchased at Earl's Supply as an off the shelf Setrab unit. The cooler was bought by Mike. He brought it to me and I made the install kit and had Jiffy-tite make the custom fittings for the cooler. We set Mike up with our suppliers and packaging companies. Mike was charged $4.92 for the fittings and if anyone wants to believe they can be bought for $1.64 (1/3rd) that's great but is not true. Mike was charged our cost for the fittings and nothing for us to do the design and testing for him. The testing and fitting of the cooler were done here at our shop on one of our trucks. After we turned the finished kit over to Mike he began to sell them. Mike had helped me over the years so when he could not do it, I did it for him. No big deal.

The big deal is trying to make it into something it's not. It is a simple cooler kit, it's been done by many for longer than myself or Mike has been doing it. RenoDmax did a DIY kit using the Earl's version of the same cooler, Mike and gang slammed it from day one. Both coolers do the same job and you can buy what you like but do not read something into it as one is better than the other. That is simply not the case. Earl's coolers are used throughout the racing world from Formula 1 down to our pickup trucks.

Pat
I not going to event get into the same old BS with you again.

DieselTech,

I saw nothing wrong with your first post, but this is where I feel you tried to get a jab in just for the sole purpose of trying to berate someone you have past issues with and maybe went as far as to try and hurt his business... While I see absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out there are other alternatives,(Like RenoDmax found out through diligence and creativity) so I would recommend to you: just point them out with specific part #'s fitting #'s etc...or the brackets and or kits if there are any...and refrain from making this a personal vendetta...

Yes... the others spoke there peace on the matter and there are differences of opinion on the other facts...but it should not have even come to that in the first place...some of the statements you made were unnecessary to the topic at hand and should have been deleted as it was just off topic personal BS... If you want to help members thats fine but do it without bringing in the personal aspect of your past issues with one another...

to the others McRat, MikeL...I know it was only fair for you to come in and defend yourselves/rebut against the post that was made... but it should not have turned to personal insults...let the members judge by the facts you present to them (less the personal issues)

I think(hope) everyone has made there point by now on the trans coolers...so feel free to add any technical information you can on trans coolers... which one and why it is better etc...best value for the dollar...where to buy one...true Setrab vs. an Earls Setrab...Kit vs do it yourself comments...

If I missed something please feel free to PM me...I am still learning here...

Pepp

Back