• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny Or Rear End??

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Ok, so this happened to me the other Day, and I thought it was just my Tires Rubbing, but now I know it wasn't.

If I get on the Brakes HARD, then make a Turn, there is some kind of Grinding Sound (like Driving on Rocks or Gravel) and a Jerking Movement when I try to Move. It just happened now when going Forward and Turning, and happened the other Night when Backing up and Turning.

Does this Sound like something up with the Tranny or Rear End Gears?

A few Months ago when I put on my Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, I Looked at the Gear and nothing Looked "Bad". No Sheared or Rounded Off Teeth.

Got any Ideas? It's got Tranny & Rear Fluid, so the Obvious is taken care of.

I do still have that Slight Movement / Knock in my Rear Pass Side Hub "area". But when I brought it up on here, some people said theirs did it too, so it was "Normal".

have you checked out the brakes? maybe you have a broken pad or something.

If it was gears then you should notice it all the time I would think. I would say your tranny is fine.

Can you isolate a little better where the sound is coming from? Only happens when turning I would first check front hubs and brakes since that is where the truck sees most of the "flex" when turning.

Check all your rotors and make sure they aren't crumbling and you're getting chunks of it stuck between the pad and rest of the rotor. From what you've said I'm leaning more towards a brake part issue.

The locker is hanging up a little..Happens to me every once in awhile...

X2. Mine does also, Especially coming around a curve and you have a wheel spin and then it tries to lock up.

It only does it when I'm going Slow too.

But if the Locker is getting Hung Up, isn't that Bad or no?

Yea, the Monsoon Stopped down here, I'm gonna Run Out and Pull the Dip Stick to See if there's any Metal Shavings on it.

Dip Stick is good. Very Little if any Metal was on it.

Could the Pinion Angle being "Off" have anything to do with this? Ever since I Lowered the Truck, I've needed to Shim it, I have the Shims, but I just haven't had Time to put them in.

It does not require an additive, only synthetic fluid.

Mine scrubs like that sometimes also. I notice it when turning in a parking lot from a dead stop sometimes.

I like afraid to Drive it now. I keep Thinking I'm gonna be goin or make a Turn, and it's just gonna Lock, and I'm gonna Blow the Rear right Out of it.

What would make it Start doing it all the Sudden? It's only got 30k Miles on it.

Back