• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny Fluid

lonewolf

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this and I know it may be posted here somewhere but can you tell me if I change the internal filter on my Allison Tranny, what kind of fluid and just how much to use? My 02 Chevy has 109,000 miles on it and I am wanting to do the full filter change. Thanks

To change the internal filter you will need to drain and drop the pan. The gasket can be re-used if it is not damaged.

Your 1000 series Allison uses Dexron III fluid. Refilling the stock shallow pan uses about 7.5 quarts. The total fluid capacity is right under 13 quarts, including the torque converter.

You only change the internal filter at major overhaul - but you can do what you want - but that is what is recommended. They also do not recommend a mechanical power flush either. Just a drain and refill we suffice. Only have to change the external filter regularly.

I really like the Amsoil Torque-Guard transmission fluid I just put in our 05. Contact member Wrecker on here, he can set you up with a great deal on any Amsoil product. It is worth the money for the extra protection, better lubrication (= better fuel mileage) and peace of mind it gives.

Back