• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer tires

packratt

Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to buy replacement trailer tires. I'm going to need some ST225-75R15 LR E's.

Brother was pulling my trailer with a 68 Torino GT he'd picked up and had all the tread decide to leave one of the tires without the tire going flat.

Currently have the Carlisle's that came on it new in 04. I really don't need to by 4 new tires right now.

Ill have to look in the light but I have goodyear somethings and they are great!

You do realize ST tires are only rated for 65 mph?? I didn't until I began having tires issues with my RV trailer...found out the hard way three sets later. Load rating E in a 15" is gonna give you fits trying to find one. Especially one American made.

I believe the OEM tires were Carlisle load range D's was wanting to go up a level for a bit more cushion. They were marked made in China but Carlisle's site currently states they are made in the US.

What did you do about the speed issue?

As far as the speed issue...a person can either slow down with the ST's or get another tire that isn't an ST. Some RV'ers are doing this to avoid trashing the ST tires and collateral damage to their RV. At 65 or so the tires crown and the treads start to overheat and blow out.

Those ST tires are in use for a reason...when you turn these trailers take a good look...notice they are trying to peel off the rims.

The key is to match the tire load to the use of the trailer. I went to the 'E' tire thinking the more room the better. It was a mistake on my part because I didn't have enough load on the tire and it was crowning.
I ended up at my local Goodyear looking for my third set in three years and said fix me up...if you stand behind them with your national coverage that's what I'll get. Now I've got two years on these 'D' tires and no signs of any issues.

What's different about ST tires, and why are they even made? We're borrowing a camper for our fair, and I noticed that it has ST tires.

ST tires = Special Trailer tires.
They have beefed up sidewalls to withstand the sidewall torque when turning, especially backing. They take some real punishment. The downside is the speed limitation of 65 - it's stamped right on the sidewall.
I can't tell you how many rigs I see passing me with my cruise set at 62...they go flying by me going 70+ not even thinking about it. I always keep my eye on them waiting for them to self destruct.

Some folks with the 5'ers that like to cruise will buy special duty 'G' tires so they don't have to slow down, but those are 16" tires. You won't find a 15" with such ratings. The highest I've found and bought were Titan 15" E's...and I already told you what happened with those.

Denman claims their ST225-75R15 tires are rated to all posted highway speeds. I specifically asked them if the posted speed limit was 75 if this was still true.

From doing some searching online the Denman and Maxxis tires seem to have the best reputation.

Goodyear also has a light truck tire they claim is trailer rated in a 15"

Ill have to look in the light but I have goodyear somethings and they are great!

goodyear marathons is what i was thinking. they are st i think but my truck doesnt go anywhere close to 65mph so i dont worry about that :eek:

Yup - that's what I've got too this time around...the national warranty is what sucked me in. Now it's their problem as long as I don't overload the tires.

I agree with you 100%, as I need to get 4 new tires for my TT. I am not a big fan of them, but was just mentioning that they made them in "E" rating. My brother had one explode on the highway right in front of me while on Route 95! It wasn't pretty. It seems that the belts separate on all their tires, causing them to expand and get very round and convexed at the tread just before exploding. There really isn't much of a selection.

I have also read a few RV forums as that is one of my passions...and tires are rarely a success story. They get abused terribly just from the application.
In spite of what I have read, this time around I went with the Goodyear Marathons (at their suggestion) and am now entering my third year.
True, 15" tires, and on an RV trailer and not a fifth wheel, but I've never had tires last this long.
Do your homework and match the load. DO NOT put too much tire on.

I should have stated that the 2 newest blowouts were the same age as the first one. One was the spare that until the first blowout had 0 miles.

I will give Carlisle credit. My brother was able to limp it on the belts about 5 miles ,to a shop to have a couple used LT tires put on so he could finish the trip.

If I can find them locally at a good price I'm going to go with the Denman D's. Otherwise I'll probably go with the Goodyears.

i wouldn't put st tires on a golf cart, i run a 40' car trailer at 16k-20k with 3 torsion axles and use 235/85/16 e truck tires ,those st tires only lasted 10,000 miles and real truck tires last 50-60,000 miles,, all the big ''offshore'' boat trailers get switched over to truck tires too

Back