• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing Driving Habits?

trailshredder

Reaction score
When you have a 10K-15K load on, do you use cruise control on grades? I have used cruise and just let the d/a do its job, but I just don't like the sudden downshift and screaming RPMs when it can't gain the speed that is set. I have also sped up on downgrades and let it gradually slow on the up grades to prevent shifting. Any thoughts on which is better for fuel economy and longevity?

I only use cruise if i'm level and at speed when i'm hauling water, which is 14-16k, depending on the trailer we use at the time. Letting it slow down on up-grades and speeding up on down-grades is better for parts and fuel. If it is a severe enough grade, use the slow lane, and then accelerate back to speed on level. I'm in the flat prairie, so the only hills i hit are the MN and Mississippi Valleys.

Cruise and T/H is always on when towing. The truck takes to long to down shift, so I force a down shift when needed by locking out O/D. I also set the cruise and lock out O/D on certain down hill runs (I80 west in to Sac). As long as traffic permits...I can do almost the entire stretch with out touching the brakes. 7k TT

I've had probably 7.5k on my truck between stuff in the bed, trailer, and scrap iron on the trailer. I pretty much don't have any traffic to deal with so on all the back roads and the highway I use cruise control with T/H mode. Up hills, it does it's thing; down hills it still does it's thing, shifted and ramped up to 4k RPM to hold 45-50 mph...I thought I was gonna get a hard on. I was between some high rock walls, I really wanted a 5" exhaust at that point. :drool5: I trust that it is going to defuel and not exceed it's capabilities. I also have Amsoil lubricants in my truck front to back.

I realize the original question asked about 10-15k, I'd have to get behind the wheel with that much, have to feel it, have to feel how the truck responded.

It kinda depends on what type of hill you are referring to, but as for the longevity and economy goes the easier you are on equipment the longer it will last and better mpg's you'll get.

Going downhill with that much weight you should be maintaining a slower speed to make sure you are still in control of your equipment. Again it depends alot on the hill, but if you don't slow down on passes in the rocky mountains you'll end up being another crash statistic. As for uphill, I usually let it slow down to where the truck "feels" happy.

Depends on the terrain and the traffic. I try to keep any speed changes as smooth as possible.

If i know the road or have any doubts, while i'm on level ground heading toward a grade I'll kick it back down to 4th or so (California if you two you're at 55mph) and adjust from there.
I know about that harsh downshift you speak, it's not fun and can't be good for anything (well maybe not detrimental, but, it's probably better for it if it didn't do it) so I try to catch it before the truck does.

Same thing with going downhill; I'll take it by he hill, I'm VERY known to be in the manual mode when towing though... I know the truck's plenty smart enough but there's no reason I can't give it a hand when I can.

Most of the hills i get that will do the downshift thing or 'confuse' it are the hills that the truck can't see... Where you just climb like hell up one, get to the other side, drop back down to where you where (While the truck slows you down) and then IMMEDIATELY go back up another hill (while the truck tries to speed up after it's just slowed you down).

If the road is not slippery I use cruise and T/H. Like others have said sometimes I will lock out overdrive if it's not shifting down as quickly as I think it should. I let the grade braking do it's thing on the downslopes; the TCM/ECM is smarter than I am.

What are you referring to as locking out OD. Is this a factory option on newer than 02 models. That would be very nice, If I could force 4th gear!

i flat towed this from moorpark ca to springfield oh. since i have a 02 with no OD lock out i have use efi live ot adjust shift points and with 35" on 3.73 5th gear at 55 is MO too tall. 4-5 and 5-4shift is about 60-65 there are some nice long 6-8% grades going form barstow to needles ca plus climbing to flagstaff, ABQ and in MO as well. i ran CC 90% of the time. i think it down shift once going down a grade. ran +/- 2mph what ever the CC was set at going up or down rolling wieght for me was 16,200gcvw

l_746b7da591b64d9581c39ad58cf3626a.jpg

What are you referring to as locking out OD. Is this a factory option on newer than 02 models. That would be very nice, If I could force 4th gear!
OD lockout was on the '03 thru '05s with the 5 speed. With the 6 speed it went to the manual shift mode.

Back