• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tow haul mode dead

I fixed a customers twice ,the last time I taped a gum cutter straw to the wire to keep it from bending so much.

The options I can think of.

1. Re-route the harness. You can see where it pinches when the steeringwheel is at the lowermost tilt.
2. Cover the wiring with additional heatshrink over the loom. To do this you'll need to take the connectors out of the plug which you can only do if you have the tool to release the little clips inside it.
3. Completely build a new harness for it, with better wire. This is what I will do if/when mine dies.

Also important to run the shifter itself through all position P -> 1 and see where the kink forms. I often downshift to 1 to descend steep hills and grades, when in 1 there is quite a kink in the wire. The orange insulation that holds the two pairs of wires is rather brittle, something I think is a leading factor in breaking the wires.

Excellent post I was able to fix my brothers 03 8100 the wires were messed up right were they entered the shifter column.

Back