• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tired of crapy reverse lights? Read on

great white

Reaction score
Well, I finally got tired of staring into a black hole at night behind the truck. The reverse lights just aren't cutting it with the truck cap already cutting down the vis and the stock little white lights......well, they suck!

So, since the PO had graciously backed into something and dented the heck out of the bumper I'd thought I'd pull it off, work on hammering the dent out and do some metal fab:

DSC04017.jpg

Not too shabby! :)

I pulled off the plastic rub strip and cut it for the light, then I measured and cut the holes in the metal bumper.

I made a template to locate the other side in the exact same spot.

I got most of the dent out of the bumper, but that thick metal is some hard to bump out. It's definitely not like doing sheet metal work!

I could have just hung the lights under the bumper, but my trailer rock guard would block it while installed and render them useless. Bolting the light on top of the bumper is just not appealing to me at all.

I prefer a more "integrated" look and tacking lights on or under the bumper isn't gonna get it.

Pic with both lights installed:

DSC04019-1.jpg

The lights are 35w halogen tractor flood lights. I fabbed up a simple bracket and welded it to the back of the bumper in order to have a place to bolt the lights on.

A little bit of electrical work set me up with a relay triggered off the reverse lights. It's just a simple 30 A relay that I mounted up in behind the drivers side tail light to keep it out of most of the weather. The light wiring in the bumper is soldered and wrapped until I can pick up a couple weather pac connectors. I may add a switch later on down the road but I'm running out of real estate on the dash, at least until I get my center console finished ;)

Pic with lights off:

DSC04027.jpg

Pic with lights on:

DSC04026.jpg

All in all, a great success! The flood lights just blow the stock lights right out of the water.

Visibility is great now.

I ran out of split loom for the harness inside the bumper, so I'll have to pick up some more tomorrow.

I still have to eventually send the bumper out for final smoothing and re-chroming.

So, whatchatink?

:)

Last edited:
I put in a set of the LED tail lights off of EBAY, and they had the clear headlight style lens in them for the reverse lights. I can say that they made a huge improvement in rear visibility. I was going to add in a set of driving lights like you did, but decided not to after the tail light install.

Can anybody link me to some similar LED lights. I've been thinking about doing something on the crewcab. I think they would especially make a difference on that ride

Back