• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

this is bad.

LOL my moms from Ontario you obviously haven't been there and driven the roads in the winter. Last time I was there the side of our rig were white from the dried on salt, in a very short period of time.

Salt? Snow? Winter? Never heard of it. What are you talking about? :hihi: The Salt Flats in Utah?

My wife is from western New York state. Never really understood the salt thing fully being a VA native as our winters are mild in comparison. Her 1989 S10 truck she brought down with her was awful. Everything you did it on was an involved process since you usually broke a bolt or part because of the rust. Bolt heads would round off because the metal was actually eaten away. The frame actually buckled on the jack one day when I went to some service work. She had friends up there whose cars actually had the frames break in half because the salt ate them up so bad. When were dating and I was driving up I do not know how five year old vehicles I saw with visible rust. Seems like in the last few years the newer crop of vehicles hold up better and maybe they changed the mix for environmental reasons but it is still not a nice place for a vehicle up there. I would think Canada would be worse.

There's a lot more galvanizing on new cars. That makes a big difference

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

My wife is from western New York state. Never really understood the salt thing fully being a VA native as our winters are mild in comparison. Her 1989 S10 truck she brought down with her was awful. Everything you did it on was an involved process since you usually broke a bolt or part because of the rust. Bolt heads would round off because the metal was actually eaten away. The frame actually buckled on the jack one day when I went to some service work. She had friends up there whose cars actually had the frames break in half because the salt ate them up so bad. When were dating and I was driving up I do not know how five year old vehicles I saw with visible rust. Seems like in the last few years the newer crop of vehicles hold up better and maybe they changed the mix for environmental reasons but it is still not a nice place for a vehicle up there. I would think Canada would be worse.

This is exactly why my truck sits in the winter time and I drive my sacrificial anode (car) in the salt, instead.

I would think Canada would be worse.
Some parts of Canada, YES. Other parts NO. I only say that because here in Vancouver BC we get maybe 3 or 4 days of snow per year and maybe 12 to 20 days where the temps actually drop below freezing. For the most part we have very mild winters. I would also suggest with that much rust, it might be worthwhile to do the heads because my bet says, How long before you need to have them done due to breakdown.

From what I have read, heard, and seen, brine leveled the playing field and rust has the advantage once again in States that use it.

Yup, it's horrible - It's horrible on the roads, makes them dangerous, tears them up and is horrible on vehicles. There is NO good in it and it's probably caused more accidents than it prevents.

Back