• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Swapping in a NV4500 in place of a 4L80E

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
So now I'm curious what would be required to do so on my '95. If I ran across a guy wanting to get rid of a manual from something like a '93 K3500, what would I be facing to accomplish this. Can the ECM be reprogrammed so it isn't looking for the line pressures, etc.?

in theory it should just work. BUT... with the trans no longer connected IDK if it would throw the engine into a derate defueling mode. I doubt it would but however if you plug in a eeprom chip for a manual trans, then the only modifications needed would be the speed sensors for the speedo and ABS to work. that part I'm not sure if the manual trans uses the same speed sensor connectors. I might actually have a manual trans eeprom chip file where I could flash it onto a blank chip for you.

You have to find someone that does tunes that can change all the details- some only know specific areas. -

To Chris’ point, I say it so much people think I am joking.
Unless you have a dmv smog check where they plug into your obd2-
This is really the best answer.

Want more power- db2 wins hands down. Build a big ip.
Want better mpg- get a 6.2 level db2.

Sell off the current ip, pmd, throttle pedal, scanner, all the electronics that go out and require work. Ya know 95% of db2 owners just time by ear? There is a device for it but it isn’t required.

Trans controller can be done simple or you can get one that you can really dial in shift points, hard shifts, etc.

You can use the throttle pedal from a gas truck, but you have to replace the cable with a custom one and some fabrication-A buddy here did it by measuring out the length of cable needed and took it to a motorcycle shop where they make custom cables frequently.

But really just look at amazon- gas pedal hot rod. $100 will get ya there easier and lower cost.

I've had good luck finding a few throttle cables, cruise modules and throttle brackets on Facebook Marketplace from folks parting out 92/93 trucks. They're rare but out there.

Pretty sure that a new tune would be needed if going to NV4500 and keeping DS4. Computer may throw a code but no programming would be necessary if going to NV4500 and DB2, provided turbo has manual wastegate.

I was surprised that no CEL came on when I swapped to DB2. But the previous owner could have just removed the bulb for all I know, I've never had a CEL show up.

Move to NV4500 worked mostly fine on the '99. The '99's PCM needed a new tune as it threw a bunch of codes when it did not see the slushbox. IIRC, it did drive Ok with the codes. Given this, the '95 OBDI might do the same.

Only thing I could not solve was the electric 4WD actuator. The electronics need to get some sort of signal that the transmission is in Neutral. Without this signal, the Xfer will not go into Low range. Switching between 4Hi and 2WD was fine. If the truck has manual 4WD, this is not a factor.

Just make sure to get the entire manual transmission assembly from a good donor as some of the innards change over the years. IIRC, '95 was unique in some aspects where hydraulic parts do not interchange with any other year.

@SnowDrift in case you missed the discussion in another thread there is one other manual transmission out there that will also fit, the Tremec TR4050. It's a still in production unit and has a higher torque rating than a stock NV4500

Only potential downside to some folks is that it uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 96+ trucks which uses an internal slave (internal to the bellhousing) which means the transmission has to be pulled to replace the slave cylinder and it can be more of a pain to bleed the internal ones. Given that I live in the rust belt I prefer the early GM 92-95 external slave style, but if you park your rig in winter then it may not matter to you as much

From what I recall pre- 95 cabs where somewhat different inside, 95 was a bastard year, and 96+ is different from the aforementioned years. Just as seats from a 93 might not fit in a 95+, the pedals may not be the same too, but don't quote me on that. I ran into the same issue a few years back with my whole clutch not disengaging saga. Long story short I needed to make a custom pushrod for the clutch pedal as the original was so worn it wouldn't depress the master cylinder enough to move the slave to disengage the clutch.

If possible I'd try to find a '95 clutch pedal. You can also get a new 96+ clutch pedal assembly. That with the 96+ master cylinder may be your best route. Do you have a donor NV4500 yet?

@SnowDrift can't recall if you use facebook or not but here's a guy parting out a '93 6.5 so it should have the throttle cable and throttle cable bracket for the DB2. If you're serious about going mechanical it wouldn't hurt to see if he has the necessary parts and would be willing to ship them to ya

That bracket looks like it was a non cruise option. there would be a second slot for another cable off to the side.

Back