• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Super "B" turbo install

Thanks pipeline,
It was easier to add the aftermarket wheel tubs than to cut up and modify the original tubs. It just made it easy. I layed up some composite skirts that will be mounted to the inner most part of the new tubs to shield the engine bay from the wheels especially when it rains. Since I did the new tubs it is why I have to fabricate a overflow tank. Plus the stock tank was leaking around the filler neck. I'm also thinking about a cowl inducted hood and maybe routing the air filter in the cowl...... not sure?

Thanks AK.
Made the overflow tank today.
IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

I have been venting the crankcase to atmosphere but not really the way I wanted. So while I was fabricating the oerflow I built a nice little breather tank that I will vent the oil fill tube and the other from the CDR.
IMG_1380.jpg

I end up etching the two tanks and painted them black with aviation paint.
IMG_1383.jpg

So all is good and pieces are drying. I'll install the tanks tomorrow.

Jorge, I thought of leaving it raw or buffing it to a mirror. But then I thought of the up keep too. So I opted for the paint........ Not much to report today as I am waiting on parts. But here is a pic of the breather...
IMG_1381.jpg

I may need to clock the turbo down to gain more room for the air filter... we will see.

I agree, it would have been hard for me to have painted the aluminum. I might have brushed it. But this is coming from someone who makes a weld, gets it x-rayed, and then coats it in dope :rolleyes5: Only 3-4 people ever see my work, I'd show it to the world if possible

Thanks guys!
Yes Pipeline, I do agree, I wish it was in the budget and time, I would have the tank bright clear anodized after buffing. Then...... I would have been happy!, but...... such is life;)

subbed, very nice work, looking forward to seeing how this turbo performs for you.... you make me wish we had the proper technology to weld aluminum, when we have small stuff to do we buy the aluminum rods, but it is pretty cost prohibitive.....

My local hose and fitting hydraulic shop uses it to make any custom a/c manifolds or fittings. Kinda like silver solder for steel or brazing but lower temps. I do believe the radiator shops use the same rods to repair aluminum radiator cores. But if they work for your application then and a TIG is not in your asron of tools then you gotta make it work with what you have. The Germans use to weld up the legendary 917 race cars aluminum chassis with oxygen and acetylene. Just the thought of a 1,100lb car with 1,200HP and all held together with o/a aluminum, which the welds looked like goober globs.

The best way I've found to run aluminum rods it to smutt the aluminum with acetylene, and once it turns SUPER black it doesn't look as bad

Just reading this and admiring the pics/work you have done (looks awsome btw) one thing come to mind though.
Having the battery so close to the tank and exhaust is umm a bit riske isnt it?

Thanks, Not at all... In the engine bay, the batteries are closer to the hottest heat source, yet no issues there. The muffler has a heat shield which the muffler doesn't see half the temperature as under the hood. Most German cars have the batteries next to the fuel tank, Porsche like 1-2".... BMW right over the fuel tank.... Just about every race car I know of has the fuel tank and battery next to each other. Besides cars big trucks here have the batteries next to the tanks and the muffler as well just further forward and outboard.

IMG_1385.jpg

Got the tailpipe in.
IMG_1388.jpg

Been working on the body.
Got my IC pipes just waiting on the Wiggins clamps

Back