• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sulastic Shackles > Info & User Feedback

Sold! Ok I am all good to go it's ordered.I will let you know how it goes next week sometime.:smile:

I have had these shackles on my truck for about 3 months now and I **** you not guys. You will not be disappointed in the purchase of these.

The true test for me on these shackles will be this winter here in upstate NY with the temps below 0. 10 year warrenty on this product and that was straight from the guy that designed the product.

Jim87,
It looks a little intimidating, but I was surprised at how easy it was. Just keep in mind of the tools you'll need:
Jackstands
Floor jack
13/16 wrench( I prefer the GearWrench)
13/16 regular and deep socket with a ratchet and extension
Lock-Tite
And maybe a pry bar and hammer for a little "persuasion"

That's really it...

As I said before I really thought that write up has great information(I will be using it).After looking and doing a couple measurements do you think that when I reassemble the lower shackle bolt that I could insert the bolt the opposite direction?It may just fit -if not I could just snip the end off slightly.The reason I say this is down the road when the bushings need replaced (three years)it would not require all the hassle of loosening the hitch bolts.Does this sound practical and do you think it matters which way the bolt runs as long as the clearance is available?

I don't think that would be a wise choice. The upper bolts can/will rub up against the frame. The lower bolt head sit in a little pocket designed for a head and not a nut. Besides, I'd rather wrench a nut off from the outside that futz with it on the inside. The ends are designed for slipping in through the multiple holes to get to the outside of the spring hanger. Cutting these off would cause more aggrevation when you try to put the bollts back in place than to drop the hitch in the first place...

I don't think that would be a wise choice. The upper bolts can/will rub up against the frame. The lower bolt head sit in a little pocket designed for a head and not a nut. Besides, I'd rather wrench a nut off from the outside that futz with it on the inside. The ends are designed for slipping in through the multiple holes to get to the outside of the spring hanger. Cutting these off would cause more aggrevation when you try to put the bollts back in place than to drop the hitch in the first place...

ok thats makes sense I didnt know it was designed to fit a certain way,but it was worth a shot.Thats why I ask before doing a :nono:.

Sold! Ok I am all good to go it's ordered.I will let you know how it goes next week sometime.:smile:

When you get them, over look the package and feel free to call Jeff here and he can give you a few simple pointers for the install on your dually. He did mine.

Will they hold up to heavy loads (yes, overloaded to 15,000 lbs gvw) and will they hold up to heavy towing (up to 26,000 gvcw)? Will they work with 2" blocks (green keys in front, no lift kit)?

Will they hold up to heavy loads (yes, overloaded to 15,000 lbs gvw) and will they hold up to heavy towing (up to 26,000 gvcw)?

I pull a 5er, about 18k .. so far no problems. I will be towing 2 F250 on a goose neck next weekend and I am sure that will put me in the 20k+ range. Take a good look at these, they have a lock out on them so they don't just keep rotating. Also I will say you still want to treat your upgrades the same as if you didn't have Sulastic's, like air bags or any other load helper.

Will they work with 2" blocks (green keys in front, no lift kit)?

As long as the mod. dosn't change the shackle point these can be used with all other upgrades:thumbsup: But I did read on the box that only if you do them after the Sulastic shackles:arf::sifone:

They just showed up a minute ago(mail truck honking away HONK HONK)!They are real stout compared to the stock ones,very heavy duty construction!Will put on next week sometime.Will let you know how it goes,instructions seem pretty straight forward.

Is there going to be a group buy, or a special,or both? How well do they work on a 2500HD SRW? Hate the hop on the socal freeways, especially when towing. I've tried different tires, pressures, and multitudes of hitch adjustments. I'm pulling a conventional trailer which tends to be rougher than a fifth wheel, Might have to try some air bags, maybe those would stop the kick of the overload spring coming into contact with the spring pack.

Is there going to be a group buy, or a special,or both? How well do they work on a 2500HD SRW? Hate the hop on the socal freeways, especially when towing. I've tried different tires, pressures, and multitudes of hitch adjustments. I'm pulling a conventional trailer which tends to be rougher than a fifth wheel, Might have to try some air bags, maybe those would stop the kick of the overload spring coming into contact with the spring pack.

He is running a special now I believe its not a group buy just a good price for all.From what others say about them I believe they will help with the bone jarring hop you get in the rear springs.I don't expect it to ride like a caddy I just want to smooth over some of the rough spots.

jim87vette,
I've ridden in Nicks dually and can tell you that you will be completely amazed at how nice it rides, just wait! It's close to a caddy:D

I cannot get the superior(upper bolt) bolt past the frame and I have even taken off the bumper for the overload spring.This is on my 08- 3500.I also did a bit of grinding on the truck bed seam to give me more clearance but I don't want to go any further as it may go through the top of the bed.It was all fairly simple job to this point now I am stuck.Don't tell me I have to raise my bed-please!It has the new 5er hitch in now and would be a bitch to do.Anyone put these on a 1ton 08 GMC dually yet?Left a message at Nicks place,I may just have to put it back together,but its so close to being complete.I wouldn't think the GMC and Chevy would not be any different in this area but I could be wrong.

I cannot get the superior(upper bolt) bolt past the frame and I have even taken off the bumper for the overload spring.This is on my 08- 3500.I also did a bit of grinding on the truck bed seam to give me more clearance but I don't want to go any further as it may go through the top of the bed.It was all fairly simple job to this point now I am stuck.Don't tell me I have to raise my bed-please!It has the new 5er hitch in now and would be a bitch to do.Anyone put these on a 1ton 08 GMC dually yet?Left a message at Nicks place,I may just have to put it back together,but its so close to being complete.I wouldn't think the GMC and Chevy would not be any different in this area but I could be wrong.

can you post a pic of the problem

I unbolted the bed and 5er puck bolts I can get it now-thanks.Now I know why I pay people to do this crap lol.But in the end I know it will feel good to finish myself.Thanks Dentpusha for the reply.

Well I got them on at last!It took a bit to get done though as I had to raise my truck bed to get the bolt out of the upper shackle(the one that must go over the frame).As it was maxing out against my truck bed-no more room-so thats why I had to loosen 6bolts then used a little jack to push up the bed.I am tired and it took me a good three to four hours to do.I get around slow fellas as I still really cant walk very well just yet.I have done a little wrenching in my time but not a lot mostly small items(rack and pinion,master cylinders,and minor tune up stuff).So this was a little challenge for me in a uncharted part of my vehicle -suspension.
I had frame goo all over myself but all is good now after a couple of vicodin:D.
I still need to put the last touches on this job and button it up but it can wait -I need a rest.:willynilly:I have not set the truck down all the way yet so I don't know if they will change position?I wanted to set down check clearances and then tighten up.Hope they look ok and especially hope they work great!

Attachments

• PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 23

Sorry, we left early yesterday to head to the Redding Diesel Rally.

On the new 08's there is the pinch weld under the bed where you push the spring up to so you can pull the spring bold off over the frame. What most have done if they have the same problem like what you had is bend or cut just enough away to make more clearance and all works from there. On mine Jeff took a air hammer and bent it over.

Well I got them on at last!It took a bit to get done though as I had to raise my truck bed to get the bolt out of the upper shackle(the one that must go over the frame).As it was maxing out against my truck bed-no more room-so thats why I had to loosen 6bolts then used a little jack to push up the bed.I am tired and it took me a good three to four hours to do.I get around slow fellas as I still really cant walk very well just yet.I have done a little wrenching in my time but not a lot mostly small items(rack and pinion,master cylinders,and minor tune up stuff).So this was a little challenge for me in a uncharted part of my vehicle -suspension.
I had frame goo all over myself but all is good now after a couple of vicodin:D.
I still need to put the last touches on this job and button it up but it can wait -I need a rest.:willynilly:I have not set the truck down all the way yet so I don't know if they will change position?I wanted to set down check clearances and then tighten up.Hope they look ok and especially hope they work great!

Sorry you had to do alittle more than you did but I guess you can feel good for getting it done. I would have probably done the same in your spot being your first.

Sooooooooo...........HOW IS THE RIDE?????

Back