• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering Wheel Controls

Drillchart

Recruit
Reaction score
I am looking into changing my steering wheel over to the one with controls and was wondering what parts I would need to complete this transformation in the truck in my sig. I know that I will need to have the dealer reflash the computer. Thanks for you help.

You need a new clockspring with support for the controls (don't remember the part number). Around $215 IIRC. I did this mod a few years ago. Very nice to have all the fuel mileage and extra features

You need a new clockspring with support for the controls (don't remember the part number). Around $215 IIRC. I did this mod a few years ago. Very nice to have all the fuel mileage and extra features

Is this a plug and play mod? Been wanting to add these.

26101828 is the part number i believe. May want to double check it. You must unplug the airbag wires at the bottom of the steering column after disconnecting the battery (yellow jacket wires with yellow connector). Then remove the airbag. There are small pinholes on either side. I used a hex key to poke in there and the airbag comes out. Unplug the connector. Remove the steering wheel. You must remove the plastic surrounding the column. The clockspring is the plastic round box under the steering wheel. Then chase all the wires leaving the clockspring and remove them from their connectors. You can now remove the clockspring. Reassemble

You must also get them reprogrammed at the dealer.

Note: there will be one connector left over coming from the clockspring. I've been told this is for quadrasteer trucks only.

Hope this helps

I don't believe the 01 or 02 have this available to them as they have a different DIC.

And everyone thank you for the help.

Go to a junkyard; they'll often sell you the whole column & wheel (less airbag) for less than GM wants for the clockspring alone.

Back