• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Some will be sad..... Others not so much.

Extremesounds13

Reaction score
Well I am not sure how many of you are going to like this but...... I am swaping in a CUMMINS):h!! Let me explain before I get murdered up here. Some of you guy probably read my thread earlier this year where I did the A-team turbo, HO injectors, & WMI injection, and after doing all that my truck is incredible for a 6.5, it is not even close to the same truck it used to be. That being said I do a lot of towing (reasons for upgrades) and I towed up that pass, that I tow my sleds up each winter, and I have not done it since last year. The good thing was instead of being slowed to 40 this time I was able to maintain 50 to the top thanks to the A-team and the WMI keeping me steady at 1200 instead of climbing. Anyway the next week I was with my cousin headed up the same pass but with a bigger trailer and some more weight and he has a 03 Cummins that is an automatic and is it bone stock down to the intake!! His truck with simply pushing the go pedal a little harder, not even pulling it out of overdrive, he maintained 75 all the way up like the truck wasn't even pulling anything:wtf: talk about make me disappointed in my truck:sad: So after looking at dodges:sick: to buy and not really liking the dodges except the cummins I started to do research on the next best thing; a CUMMINS SWAP. So to make a long story short:confused: 2 weeks ago I bought a 24 Valve cummins with 87,000 miles out of a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500. This way I get the truck I love, crew cab chevy, with the power I want , for way less than buying a new truck. So now the good part for you guys..... in the meantime of gathering parts for the swap I need to sell my motor, the A-team turbo, HO injectors, chip, and all the other 6.5 stuff. When I swap the cummins I am going to keep my 4L80E cause I like my automatic, other than that with help from autoworld repower, who has all the parts I need the swap is not going to be so bad.

That is the reason I question GM's decision when they "redid" their diesel program. Not that the duramax is a bad engine. But it has been proven for many years that in a "small" diesel engine straight blocks are the best for power. I think if GM would have gone this route the Duramax would be way out front of Cummins. The stock Duramax has a higher output than Cummins but Cummins has alot more potentail. Any way that is my .02.

Same as VW........... where are you at???? I could be interested in the A-team.....

All I gotta say is ck out Cumminalongs video in the Dodge section. Just don't buy it from Lee's Auto Ranch and you'll be fine...

That is the reason I question GM's decision when they "redid" their diesel program. Not that the duramax is a bad engine. But it has been proven for many years that in a "small" diesel engine straight blocks are the best for power. I think if GM would have gone this route the Duramax would be way out front of Cummins. The stock Duramax has a higher output than Cummins but Cummins has alot more potentail. Any way that is my .02.

Same as VW........... where are you at???? I could be interested in the A-team.....

I disagree. I think Dmax is king of the diesels. Pricey, PITA to swap over, electrical everything, but well tuned and well running, I don't think Ford or Dodge can even come close to the D/A combination.

I disagree. I think Dmax is king of the diesels. Pricey, PITA to swap over, electrical everything, but well tuned and well running, I don't think Ford or Dodge can even come close to the D/A combination.

Cummins not close to a Dmax ?
Gonna disagree on that one.
Most of the guys on my Dodge forum are running 600+hp. The stuff you can do to a Cummins is just insane and they take it.

Ace is correct on this one I will have to say......cummins is king, A cummins can build lots of horse and torque and handle it day in and day out and still get respectable mileage out of it.

PM me regarding the WMI as I may be interested in buying it if its available, thanks!

I may be partial here, but I think the DMAX is a BEAST. The CUMMINS is a great engine as well, but they both have there pros and cons to each of them. Just remmeber though that your buddies 03 was a common rail CUMMINS, so don't expect that 2000 24 valve to be able to put out like it does. Also there isn't a huge market out there for the 98.5-02 24 valves as they got a bad rep due to there IP problems. If you keep a good lift/supply pump on it and a warning light for the fuel pressure to the pump it should be OK. A 12 valve is a MUCH easier swap to do electrically, but the 24 valve is doable. I also reccomend you go with the DODGE trans and save yourself some headaches if your going with an auto. The 4L80E will cost you a small fortune to adapt it over properly and to make it live.

I may be partial here, but I think the DMAX is a BEAST. The CUMMINS is a great engine as well, but they both have there pros and cons to each of them. Just remmeber though that your buddies 03 was a common rail CUMMINS, so don't expect that 2000 24 valve to be able to put out like it does. Also there isn't a huge market out there for the 98.5-02 24 valves as they got a bad rep due to there IP problems. If you keep a good lift/supply pump on it and a warning light for the fuel pressure to the pump it should be OK. A 12 valve is a MUCH easier swap to do electrically, but the 24 valve is doable. I also reccomend you go with the DODGE trans and save yourself some headaches if your going with an auto. The 4L80E will cost you a small fortune to adapt it over properly and to make it live.

Ya I realize his is a common rail but the 24 valve is no slacker especially with a couple small things done to it. I am not to worried about wiring up the 24 valve I'm not afraid to tear into the wiring on the engine and the truck:D BUt as far as keeping the 4L80E vs the dodge tranny I have been kicking that idea around cause keeping my tranny is for sure going to be the most expensive part of the swap. I have talked to two guys with our body style truck that have done swaps and used the dodge tranny and they did it to save cost on all the adapters and the transmission controller, but both of them in the end said they would of reconsidered using the dodge tranny do to all the hassle of the transfer case, drive lines, speedometer, crossmember, shift linkages, ect. So at this point I am going with the 4l80E unless I see some good evidence to use the dodge tranny.

I would keep the 4l80 as well. If you keep the 24v stock it will last but if your going to turn up the power you will need to build it up to survive, you would have the same issues with the 47re as well so.
Any reason your not going 12v pump on the 24v motor?
Make sure you keep us informed along the conversion, this is my next upgrade to my truck

Don't we have a member here that has already done the same (or close) swap? I'm pretty sure we do but don't remember who...

A well endowed DMAX can get into the 1000 HP arena.

We wont speak of how long they will last there though.

Jim over at the page has a shorty chevy with an LB7 thats puttiong 600+ to the rear wheels.

Now thats a BUTTLOAD of ponies.

Missy

In a swap like that a P pump would probably be better. Low fuel pressure isn't the only issue with the VP44. Sorry parts were and that is straight from dieselpro. 24v can turn up some seriuos HP as well and WILL hold together. Some of the guys even fire ring them. Remember the Cummins is a downsized version of the 8.3 which is a damn good engine. I won't say i think one is better than the other but to say Dmax is king I don't agree with. I think they both have enormous potential. I liked the Cummins because it's easier to work on. I'll swap my injectors on the 5.9 a hell of alot faster than a dmax. It's really just preference. My Mother has a 7.3 PS and my Stock Cummins will dog it. My Tahoe was fully modded and now that I actually got fuel flowing to my Cummins it would wipe the floor with it. Sorry but that there is just the facts. The Cummins can take alot of abuse.
JKrace is who you guys are thinking about. He did a burb. I think he used a 12v. BTW The biggest problem with the 2nd gen was not the IP, It was the dreaded 53 Block. They crack and game over. I have a 56. it was the best of the 2nd gen. That is why you see alot of 98's for sale cheap. Make sure the 24v you use is not a 53 block . You will regret it.

Back