• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

smack talk

I agree for the most part. Not sure which motor he has, but Ford.com says 9800lbs for 5.0 motor, 360hp/380tq, and 11,300lbs (yeah,right) with 6.2 motor 411hp/434 tq. Even if those numbers are skewed just to sell trucks, they no doubt have enough power to pull a big trailer, and they come with a lot bigger brakes now. Seems like half tons are competing themselves right past where 3/4 and 1 tons used to be. I saw a new ram 1500 with factory 20s beat a lot of old modified Chevys at a truck pull recently.

Obviously those numbers are for "properly equipped" F150s. I would like to see his truck with my trailer on his ball without a WD hitch. I moved it in my yard once with the Avalanche 1500 and it was almost dragging the bumper. Would have been no way it could go out on the road like that. But my dually tows it with just a ball and 20-30 lbs in the airbags. My truck actually tows it really nicely, except for the big hills. But, with a WD hitch and an identical trailer, his probably would tow better, probably cruise the big hills at top speed with A/C cranked and zero pucker. Just makes me hate him more.

Probably the only thing my truck can do better (besides last a long time) would be to drag him around backwards. I know I can outplow his (if he had a plow) and he's never going to yank a school bus out of a snowbank, or pull a stuck tractor trailer up a hill on snow and ice. Only race I could win would be a drag race uphill on wet grass. I think I've still got a traction advantage.

Your right on about the tug of war thing, the plowing, and the tongue weight issue. Plowing and tug of wars are won with weight more than power.

360HP at 5000 rpm. THing is, nobody wants to drive at such a high RPM. I'd rather have the HP/torque at an actually useable RPM range... Perhaps thats why I like diesels.

360HP at 5000 rpm. THing is, nobody wants to drive at such a high RPM. I'd rather have the HP/torque at an actually useable RPM range... Perhaps thats why I like diesels.
another good point, I am so accustomed to diesels now I love making my power at low rpms. When I wind out my company car it feels like its screaming at 6000, but it didn't get from idle to 6000 all that fast, it just sounds like it. Mine will accomplish the same thing in nearly the same amount of time (ok a little slower) but only revving from idle to 3000. It's kind of weird actually, sometimes I think I beat on my truck, but it's always at half the revs of a gasser.
I so want to do the tug of war with him. I dont want to bet titles, or cash, or anything, except to have a bunch of people watching. The time I pulled out the schoolbus that had been run off the road in the snow, I hooked up to it after an F350 PSD had tried and couldn't budge it. I know the weight was in my favor, but it was still the coolest thing ever. I would pay money for a video of that.

That has to be a main reason why diesels last longer than gassers, the fact that it barely sees over 3000 rpm, where a gasser would see that all day long.

Just throw the chain down by his truck and tell him don't even waste your time anymore until he's ready to back up his mouth... and walk away. :)

Just toss the tug-of-war chain on the ground next to his truck and walk away....

Actually hook up the chain and throw it over your tailgate.
"I don't care if I scratch the paint. I can get parts cheep so I AM WILLING TO BREAK SOMETHING TO WIN! Do you feel lucky punk? Does your fancy computerized truck even allow a neutral drop with an automatic?"

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords" anyway. :rof:

The sad part is the F150 would probably tow better than our trucks and not over heat doing it. I still wouldn't trade my truck for one though.

I guarantee my C1500 would outtow that F150 crap, two of my brothers each have one and I borrowed one of their friends to tow recently when I was visiting them.

You have a point about brakes, but my ABS and drums still work great, although those dual piston calipers that bolt on look real nice

just had to add this here..friend just got a new F350 gasser, made a remark about dragging my truck out of the way, and I said with what? Your Ford? Everybody laughed then this old man turns around and says he can drag my truck with his Toyota Tacoma. (He's known as a BS artist) So I tell him to cut it out, his little toy won't pull anything. He says why not, I tell him mine weighs 3 times what his does. He proceeds to tell a made up story about pulling a tractor trailer off the road with it, I told him I pulled one uphill on snow and ice. Then I tell him that if I had my chain with me I'd hook up to him hitch to hitch. He asks what I have for chains, and I tell him I have four 16 foot chains (grade 70 alloy with a grab hook at one end and a slip hook at the other). So he says, get this, that's not long enough. ??????wtf????? How longs it gotta be?

By now everyones laughing at him, but he doesn't care. He just says you have no idea how much power my Toyota has. Actually I do. And it's nowhere near enough to budge my truck, unless it's in neutral.

just had to add this here..friend just got a new F350 gasser, made a remark about dragging my truck out of the way, and I said with what? Your Ford? Everybody laughed then this old man turns around and says he can drag my truck with his Toyota Tacoma. (He's known as a BS artist) So I tell him to cut it out, his little toy won't pull anything. He says why not, I tell him mine weighs 3 times what his does. He proceeds to tell a made up story about pulling a tractor trailer off the road with it, I told him I pulled one uphill on snow and ice. Then I tell him that if I had my chain with me I'd hook up to him hitch to hitch. He asks what I have for chains, and I tell him I have four 16 foot chains (grade 70 alloy with a grab hook at one end and a slip hook at the other). So he says, get this, that's not long enough. ??????wtf????? How longs it gotta be?

By now everyones laughing at him, but he doesn't care. He just says you have no idea how much power my Toyota has. Actually I do. And it's nowhere near enough to budge my truck, unless it's in neutral.

He seriously thinks his toyota tacoma has more power than a 6.5 and can out tow us too? It isn't even a fullsized truck! It has what a v6 and weighs 1/2 as much (as my Z71)?

the tacomas are light and quick, but not nearly the torque monsters our 6.5s are. My friend has that special like performance tacoma and after he rode in my truck he started looking for turbo upgrades on his truck, because he was jealous. I have ridden in his truck and it is quick, but mainly just handles well because its small, light and low.

Last edited:
The power becomes obvious when your really heavy or plowing. As mentioned before, having to revv that shit up just to make torque is not something I miss.

It may not be a powermonster, but its way more than I've ever needed, and I was pushing over 22,000lbs with my plow and sander on 6 tires climbing some really steep city hills. Going really slow, sure, but got the job done.

Dan, sounds to me that they figured out they are getting under your skin a bit.

I've had a few friends suggest I need a newer vehicle, why do I drive the noisy old Suburban. I just say I enjoy it, in some ways it's a hobby for me as well as transportation. I don't need a hot rod, my only issue is reliability, I just can't break down all over the place. I've had a few minor blips where I've needed a jump, or have to stop on the side of the road to fix something simple, but (and I shouldn't say this!) I've never needed a tow, never been stranded in about 50,000 miles that I've owned this. It's the best vehicle in snow I've ever owned. When our '07 Dodge diesel 2wd 1 ton dually at work broke down, I towed the 7,000 trailer it was supposed to tow. When it couldn't get out of it's own way in snow I dragged it with a tow strap. All that for a $6,700 purchase price, and even though I've put a bunch of parts in it it's still like buying 1/5 of a new truck.

You know he'll never come around. I'd just tell him his new truck is a beauty, really one of the nicest 1/2 ton trucks you've ever seen, and leave it at that. Hard for him to say much then.

As for the Tacoma, I woudn't waste much time talking to that guy!

Well put Dave.

Or just put it in 4-low and start smashing every vehicle in the parking lot. I've always wanted to do that in traffic. I wonder how many cars I could push together before shes done. :)

Hey Dan,

I munched on a F150 today in your honor.

Give em hell.

[video=youtube;EWIPhCKjXz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIPhCKjXz8[/video]

I just got a 2011 F-150 for a work truck(well for 2 days then they took it away and now I'm getting someone elses Wrung out POS Dakota cause I don't gobble enough c**k I guess) . It drove nice and had alot of balls. Of course like all Fords the seats are uncomfortable. I was driving originally a 96 k2500 gasser(patooie!) and it had 129K on it and drove like the day it was new. They junked it because of a fuel inj problem which later turned out to be the idiots working on it broke the fuel inj harness. They gave me a 96 Ford Bronco with 66k on it to replace the the k2500. In the last 6 months it has been towed twice. POS. Fords are nice when they are new but that newness wears off quickly. Now I'll be in a wrung out Dodge Dakoya, the lowest form of American vehicle.

F150 boy tried needling me again today, we were all working at the grass drags and parked in a farm field. I parked at the end and there wasnt room so I just put the left side in the ditch. He told me if I couldnt get out he'd hook up and pull me out with his Ford. What are you kidding, I can walk out of there in 2wd without spinning a tire! And I did just that, never spun a tire. In retrospect, what I should have done was tell him I was stuck and let him try to pull me out, then pulled him backwards down into the ditch with me. I could have crossed the little dinky brook and gone up the embankment on the other side except there was a big fence on that side. Then I could have unhooked and left him there for awhile. Hee hee, that would have been awesome to see his shiny chrome 20s spinning ineffectively in farm muck, getting mud all over his spotless paintjob. Then maybe go back around and pull him back out. If that didn't shut him up nothing ever would.

I could have crossed the little dinky brook and gone up the embankment on the other side except there was a big fence on that side. Then I could have unhooked and left him there for awhile. Hee hee, that would have been awesome to see his shiny chrome 20s spinning ineffectively in farm muck, getting mud all over his spotless paintjob. Then maybe go back around and pull him back out. If that didn't shut him up nothing ever would.

That would have been ideal.

Sounds pretty typical. Usually the only thing running real good on a damn Ford is the driver's MOUTH....

Back