• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slide in pop up truck camper

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Im still looking for a nice pop up truck camper. I'd like to plan a trip through west Tx, New Mexico, Az and Utah maybe back through Co. If anyone has one/knows of one in those states let me know.
The pop ups are not popular in this area so I might need to go get one.

I'd also like to talk about the different configurations and your experience if you've owned one. I'd really like a shower and crapper other than that i'm open to options.
Im thinking used. What would $8k or less buy me?

Links or info would be most appreciated.

Had alittle time to look at links. I like. I going to spend a few hours on Youtube and see what I find. I do like Four Wheel Campers stuff from what I've seen. It looks like I could buy a shell and outfit it like I'd like.

From my reading(s) most pop up truck campers do costume builds. The market for them is so devise that it is harder to build one to suit everybody. Another company to look at is livin lite camp lite. They do not build pop ups. They do build the only camper on the market that is 100% aluminum.

http://www.livinlite.com/cltc-models.php

You can find good deals on these on craigslist, they are just harder to find.

From my reading(s) most pop up truck campers do costume builds. The market for them is so devise that it is harder to build one to suit everybody. Another company to look at is livin lite camp lite. They do not build pop ups. They do build the only camper on the market that is 100% aluminum.

http://www.livinlite.com/cltc-models.php

You can find good deals on these on craigslist, they are just harder to find.

They have updated what used truck campers they have.

http://www.princesscraft.com/used-rvs-for-sale.aspx

I'll take a look thanks.
I have been looking pretty hard, but can't buy until mid March or later.
I've got some designs in my head that are wanting to come out of my hands really bad, not enough time in the day it seems.

I'll take a look thanks.
I have been looking pretty hard, but can't buy until mid March or later.
I've got some designs in my head that are wanting to come out of my hands really bad, not enough time in the day it seems.

Never, not even close to enough time in a day. :mad2:

I'm kicking around replacing my pickup camper and am wondering whether anyone know if there other places besides Yellowstone where they restrict camping with tents and soft sided pop-ups. Also, does anyone know whether there are companies other that Alaskan who build hard-side pop-ups? We were at Yellowstone several years ago and our friends who were traveling with us had a pop-up pickup camper that had vinyl (like boat top material) where the top raised up and they wouldn't let them use most of the campgrounds because of bears. The ranger said they'd had bears climb up on the hood of the truck and rip through to get at food. I had never thought about that...

I'm kicking around replacing my pickup camper and am wondering whether anyone know if there other places besides Yellowstone where they restrict camping with tents and soft sided pop-ups. Also, does anyone know whether there are companies other that Alaskan who build hard-side pop-ups? We were at Yellowstone several years ago and our friends who were traveling with us had a pop-up pickup camper that had vinyl (like boat top material) where the top raised up and they wouldn't let them use most of the campgrounds because of bears. The ranger said they'd had bears climb up on the hood of the truck and rip through to get at food. I had never thought about that...

Check out truck camper magazine. There is a ton of info on nothing but truck campers.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Thanks. I get the Truck Camper Magazine newsletter in my email and checked awhile back but had forgotten about it. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a newsletter lately. Sometimes they send out stuff wanting you to confirm renewal and I probably missed it. You snooze you lose, huh?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news (pun intended) but any bear that really wants in is gonna get in. Seen some pretty wild stuff up here.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

Hate to be the bearer of bad news (pun intended) but any bear that really wants in is gonna get in. Seen some pretty wild stuff up here.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

That's for sure. I really keep my eyes open and keep the food and trash properly stored and so on. Can't help but have some issues if you're out there a lot but if you keep from doing stupid stuff you're okay. A couple of years ago we had just gotten the boat on the trailer and saw a sow coming up our side of the river sticking her nose in the air every few steps. One of the guys with us was getting all pissy about the two salmon we had set on the ground while we loaded the boat and I told him to leave them and to ease over and get in the truck or he'd be facing the bear all by himself. He took off at a run for the truck and here she came on the run but went straight to the fish as we drove off. The guy kept saying how he didn't know they were that fast. Friggin' idiot. Last time I took him fishing and it was one time too many. Then he never even offered to help clean up the boat, buy any gas, etc. Never understood how people can be that way.

Im trying to get the wife to go for this one.
http://austin.craigslist.org/rvd/4337398296.html

Mine wouldn't go for it and it's too bad because that's a nice setup. We looked at a couple of similar ones at the RV show last year and she was all excited until she looked around and said "where's the bathroom?". If I want mama's approval that's a must have. Didn't used to be that way but as the years go by the rules change.

Toilet/shower is a requirment for us also. My plan was to buy something like the link then convert the cabnet space to shower/toilet.
BUT its a no go on that unit anyway. I called they said it will fit short bed not a long bed as the center of gravity would be behind the axle if mounted in a long bed. So in a Paomino im looking at the SS 1500 with shower/toilet.
My problem is I dont want to pay $10000+
I might just have to make my own. I have some ideas using aluminium frame and carbon fiber shell, problem is time to do it.
I may just have to wait and find a used one I like.

Back