• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

ProjectMax

Reaction score
Ok, I have been chasing down a weird problem for a while now and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Only when I come to a stop, more times than not the back of my truck shakes and jerks like it has some seriously warped rotors. However, I know the rotors and brakes are perfectly fine because I just did them last week. Like I said, more times than not, but not all of the time. I have looked at the carrier bearing rubber isolator and it looks ok. The drive shaft seems to be fairly stable. So what gives? I do need shocks and I will be putting them on at the end of the month, but I dont think it will help. Any ideas? I am stumped.:noidea:

Are you sure its not just the back of the truck bouncing due to the road surface? Tire pressure has a major affect on this issue.

What i meant about the tire pressure was, the higher the pressure, the worse it makes the truck bounce.

70 psi is a lot. i run 35s and my max psi is 50. sounds like tires too stiff for the road. otherwise don't worry about it and just get shocks replaced, that should be enough

Well, I will air down in the morning before I head off to work and see if that helps. I will keep ya posted.

Shocks for sure, I am going with Bilstein 5100's all around:hail:

Yeah you will definitely get alot of bounce and roughness when your unloaded at those pressures.

Ok, tonight I started to look at the rear end really close to see what the heck might be going on. I started to rock the truck back and forth and noticed that the springs were popping as the rear end pivoted. :doh:

So, I went ahead and double checked the torque on the ubolts. All were good and in spec. Scratching my head at that point I decided to try a temporary fix. I cut some 3/8" rubber fuel line and wedged the hose between the lower leaf and the upper spring pack. Tapped the hose in snug with a hammer and took a spin. That definently helped. The bounce was little to none.

I think I am going to get some 7/8" bump stops from energy suspensions to replace my POS plastic pads on the leafs. However I am not sure if this will be the final fix. You guys have any suggestions? I know that traction bars are going to come up and yes it has crossed my mind, but I would like to steer clear of those for the moment.

Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

Is there an update to the shaking? My truck has the exact same thing, its worse while braking, but so bad now I just cant take it. Done the obvious, shocks, pressures, tuning, etc.

Im wondering about the u joints. Can bad joints cause this fierce vibration?

Well, I ended up doing several things, but I nailed it down. Believe it or not, the front rotors were warped...BAD. BUT, the brake pedal never ever pulsated as you would expect. I swore up and down it was in the rear somewhere, and in spite of desperation I decided to do a complete brake job to see if the issue would go away. I started with the rears, because I thought that was the problem. Turned the rotors and replaced the pads. No change, still there:mad:. So I did the same with the fronts. Shakes Gone! Seems that the vibrations resonated all the way to the back. Fooled me thats for sure.

I also re-torqued the entire chassis for good measure as well. I figured since I had over 100,000 miles on the truck, a little re-torque was definently due. The truck is tight as a drum again, and drives like new again as well.

So give the brakes a good work over and you should be good. Worked for me.

One little sound can resonate over the whole truck.

My cracked flex plate sounded like the fan was running on the shroud, but it was a cracked flex plate

The front rotors/pads were done about 5k ago. Rear have not been done. Im thinking change rear setup, Ive got stainless brake lines ordered for front and rear.

But Im wondering if the ujoint can cause the vibe too....Ive got 221k miles now. Its the original joint.

The front rotors/pads were done about 5k ago. Rear have not been done. Im thinking change rear setup, Ive got stainless brake lines ordered for front and rear.

But Im wondering if the ujoint can cause the vibe too....Ive got 221k miles now. Its the original joint.

They could. If you have a carrier bearing too, check it as well.

I can push on the driveshaft and it does have some play in it. I need to change rear end fluid too Im sure.

Back