• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Seat covers smell like smoke from prev. owner...how do I get it out?

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
Any ideas? They are Wet Okole seat covers. I took them out of my truck...truck still smelled for a couple weeks but now the bad smell is gone. I'd like to put the covers back in but want to get the stink out first. Has anyone used any particular product on this kind of thing that has worked well?

Thanks

If you have a near by Walmart stop in and buy a closet deodorizer. Its in a blue container the is kinda oval in shape with venting on the top. It's got like a charcoal gel inside. Took all the smoke smell out of my truck from the previous owner in just a day or two.

i put my seat covers in the wash. does the trick everytime and makes them smell nice. i let them air dry and use a gentle wash setting.

my truck was the same way when i bought it. i ended up shampooing the seats and carpet with a deoderizing additive, worked good and cleaned alot of the stuff i couldnt get with a vaccum out.

i put my seat covers in the wash. does the trick everytime and makes them smell nice. i let them air dry and use a gentle wash setting.

What kind of material are your seat covers? I don't know if mine are safe to machine wash.

I might just try shampooing them by hand.

Thanks for the replies!

mine are a mix of fake a leather a velvet like material. check the inside of the cover and see if there are washing instructions. i put them on delicate wash and then put them in the dryer for a short period, less than the cycle. after that i hung them outside and let them air dry for a day.

Be careful spraying any thing on the headliner. I used Fabreze on my last truck to get the smell out and within a month the glue let go and it was a mess.But it smelt good...

My sons Jeep smelled like an ashtray when he bought it, we went to sam's club and bought " ODOBAN " we sprayed the whole interior with it and closed it up over night then we let it air out for a couple hours the next day and there is no trace of the ashtray smell.

Wash the wet okole covers there neoprene just put them on a delicate cycle in the washing machine. If the whole vehicle smells see about renting an ozone machine and let it run for a day or two. Works very well.

If you not in a hurry a bar of Ivory soap works great. Tear the top of the soap bar box open about 1/2 way and toss it under the seat. It will take a few weeks but once it starts to smell like soap remove the bar from the truck. The soap smell goes away pretty quick once the bar is removed

If you have a near by Walmart stop in and buy a closet deodorizer. Its in a blue container the is kinda oval in shape with venting on the top. It's got like a charcoal gel inside. Took all the smoke smell out of my truck from the previous owner in just a day or two.

I've used this stuff too with great results. Also consider some baking soda; they have it packaged specifically for use as a deodorizer... seems to work better on "organic" smells like fast food, sweat, etc.

Ozium works really well and you can get it at Wal-Mart. Thats what they use in the hospitals. Also, get some fabric softener sheets and put one under each seat as well at the A/C intake. Get the retro A/C filtration kit from the pre-04 trucks with the charcoal filter and it really helps to keep the odor down.

I've used this stuff too with great results. Also consider some baking soda; they have it packaged specifically for use as a deodorizer... seems to work better on "organic" smells like fast food, sweat, etc.

I did end up using it and it took most the smell away. I can still smell it a little bit once in a while but it was worth the $4. If the smell comes back I may try the Wet Okole deodorizer Saratoga mentioned or the Ozium.

DangerousDuramax...What is Ozium and what section would it be in. Also, thanks for letting me know about the filter kit. I didn't know you could add them...is it easy...any other info on this?

Thanks for all the help guys. :cheers2:

Back