• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

satellite radio question.....

0rion

Reaction score
The truck came with 3 months XM free and that technically ended June 1st although they haven't killed it yet. I have Sirius already and plan on keeping that because about the only reason I have sirius is so I can listen to the Saints games. I do rock out to hair nation and since I've had it free I've been listening to it a lot lately.
I can always use the FM modulator on my sirius radio but was wondering if there's a way to go direct to the stock stereo? It's a non-bose system if that matters. Is there a port on the back I can plug into? Any way to use the trucks antennae for my sirius radio?

First of all, Sirrius and XM merged over a year or so ago so its all in the same now. I've had both and Sirrius friggen rocked. It was way better, all around than XM.

There's an adapter that Best Buy sells that plugs right in to convert the system to Sirrius. Gimme a day or so and I'll dig out the pictures as this was pretty common a few years back. The XM module is behind the dash board in case you didn't know.

There's also a pin available to use the stock GM "shark fin" antenna, which doubles as the OnStar antenna as well.

Go to Crutchfield and they will answer all your questions. IIRC you can use a direct connection to that allows you to use your dockable radio and use the radio controls on your OEM radio, the other option would be to install a dock using the direct connect via the antenna wires and then hide your new satellite antenna and power wiring.

Sirius and XM are merged but I was not able to get the XM in my cobalt linked with the other 2 Sirius radios I have.

With the Sirius account I pay monthly and get the 2nd radio for about half what the first one costs, I was hoping to tag the XM radio on to that but they wouldnt do it.

although they're merged xm doesn't get all the nfl games....only a couple each week. With Sirius I'm guaranteed to get the saints games. Thanks for the other info..... sounds like I'll be able to do what I wanted to do.

did you use the short piece of wire lead that comes with it? It makes a world of difference. or is the wire a Canada only deal?

Not sure what wire you are talking about. The direct connect that I use is placed on the back of the radio, you unplug the antenna and plug it into the DC module and then plug the male antenna lead off the module into the radio. The remaining wire plugs into the dock.

FYI, the factory XM antenna can be "modified" to work with a Sirius box. That's how I run my sirius adapter box my Kenwood headunit.

You can get the "Best of Sirius" package on XM and it will have all the channels, but maybe won't get all your saints games, who knows. There's XM in our 03 and 05 Bonnevilles and the D-max and we love it.

Back