• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

S&B Airbox with HX40

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
Has anyone used this combination successfully?

I saw this where a guy has one but I believe he said this is an A-Team turbo so I suppose the center axis of the turbo is closer to the stock height.
1716935568811.png
I'm having a hard time finding much on the air filter box side of things when a HX40 is used.
1716935721423.png
The air box @Paveltolz is using seems to allow for some deviation based on what the pictures seem to show that he's posted. I don't think Heath's box is available any longer though.

Any thoughts?

It could probably be adapted by using a reducer silicone coupler. Not sure what the size is on the S&B elbow but maybe a hump hose coupler could still fit the HX40 axis

Another idea would be to fab a different outlet if the plastic plate with molded elbow can be unscrewed. Make a new piece out of aluminum or steel and weld on a 3", 3.5", or 4" joiner so a silicone elbow can clamp on and rotate to fit the larger turbo

I think if you post a few pics of your turbo with the stock filter box might help, side view, front view, etc.

Back when I did all this with my 92 I used a "cobra adapter" and it was simple. That air box was a flat style filter so yes it was a little different.

Has anyone used this combination successfully?

I saw this where a guy has one but I believe he said this is an A-Team turbo so I suppose the center axis of the turbo is closer to the stock height.
View attachment 87906
I'm having a hard time finding much on the air filter box side of things when a HX40 is used.
View attachment 87907
The air box @Paveltolz is using seems to allow for some deviation based on what the pictures seem to show that he's posted. I don't think Heath's box is available any longer though.

Any thoughts?

Mine and this example of SoB's air box are one and the same. It differs only in that Heath's didn't have the option to remove the rear and open the back. I guess the reasoning for that 'improvement' was/is to allow for improved hot air induction making the term 'Cold Air intake' an oxymoron. I don't know. It does quiet turbo whistle very well.

To secure the unit to the fender, there is an oval cut hole under the filter to allow for shifting the assembly a little left or right. Once you line up the horn with the turbo, you can then take advantage of the play the silicon coupler allows and the hole in the filter housing to snug things up in the alignment that suits your particular turbo.

I've run it with a GM-8 and an ATT without issue. I'm thinking SSForce may have run it on his HX-30ish too.

FWIW, the CDR return is a royal PIA. It keeps slipping off the plastic horn because the hose is hard/slick rubber and the attachment point on the hrn is slightly conical or, wider at the bottom than the top. Results: tighten the hose clamp as much as you like...it'll slip right up and off. I modified things and got rid of their POS 90* set up in similar fashion as the video's author.
IMG_9182.JPG

Obviously hummer is different lay out, but the air filter and intake is horrible in hummers/hmmwv. I am considering looking into some of the factory filter boxes like the L5P.
Have any of you guys thought of something similar?
I figured if It can handle the air flow for those factory numbers it should do fine for any 6.5 even hopped up. And guessing guys that beef up their trucks would sell the original set up mighty cheap.

I have 9-1/2" from the inner fender to the wastegate actuator on the turbo. Here are a couple photos of the area I'm working with but I didn't put the factory airbox in place.

20240615_192057.jpg20240615_192136.jpg
@Paveltolz do you have a width on the box itself?
1718503440950.png

Solving for "?"
The width of the air box is 9 1/2" so, without the OEM plastic air ducting inserted into the fender's opening, it just might fit. It sits on the inner fender in a slight incline so the side against the waste gate controller isn't plumb so it is canted a few degrees.
IMG_9333.jpeg

IMG_9332.jpeg

Kind like the line you drew showing the 9 1/2" from fender to controller.
You can always send it back if it doesn't fit.

If you're interested in a road trip and have room.for a bunch of stuff. We have a lot of stuff to get rid of. GMT400 stuff, electric stuff, a couple walk in cooler panels, drive shafts, seats, transfer case, 6 lug aluminum wheels, hood, fender, window regulators. Door / window seals.

I've been struggling to get out there and do anything.
Sounds like it's going to get worse at least for the next month or 3. If someone was willing to come load up and give me a decent price for everything it would help out.
Also have a barely used Greenlee up to 4" hydraulic knockout kit. What are those selling for these days?
I was leaning toward that. Trying to find another K47. I sold the one I had several years back. Can't recall why but I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

If you're interested in a road trip and have room.for a bunch of stuff. We have a lot of stuff to get rid of. GMT400 stuff, electric stuff, a couple walk in cooler panels, drive shafts, seats, transfer case, 6 lug aluminum wheels, hood, fender, window regulators. Door / window seals.

I've been struggling to get out there and do anything.
Sounds like it's going to get worse at least for the next month or 3. If someone was willing to come load up and give me a decent price for everything it would help out.
Also have a barely used Greenlee up to 4" hydraulic knockout kit. What are those selling for these days?
I've got enough leftovers at this point. Selling off some things just due to not needing them as they are. If you have a K47 airbox, though, let me know.

I've got enough leftovers at this point. Selling off some things just due to not needing them as they are. If you have a K47 airbox, though, let me know.
If I can find time to dig one out, I'll post up. There's 2 out there I think one's complete. Might be missing the plastic elbow. I saw the part that goes to the fender a day or 2 ago.

The KO set depending on conditions is $250-$700.
To get $700ish: all dies have to be perfectly free of knicks, perfect paint & storage box, then wait a few months for it to sell.
It also depends which type of hydraulic pump it is.

Back