• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rough Idle

bhelms22

Reaction score
About 1500 or 2000 miles ago I chainged out my injectors for a set of Bosch from rockauto. Ever since the truck has had a fishbite or hiccup at idle. It only does it when the truck is warmed up. Pulling the coolant sensor brings the idle up and helps some but after it is warm you can still tell a little.

When I changed them I couldnt get the job done so it sat for a week with the return lines pulled and the fuel system drained out. I thought I got all the air out but IDK if there would still be any in the system after so many miles. Just looking for any simple suggestions to try. It runs fine down the road, and I aint got the time to really tear back into it right now.

I know it has pressure but idk how much. The lift pump is only a year old but i guess it could be giving low pressure. The motor didn't idle rough though back when the pump was non operational. Truck idled fine with herzog injectors but after I chainged them it idled rough. I though it got something in the fuel system while sitting but I figured it would work itself out by now.

I went thru one lp a year for about 3 years, the one that is on now has outlasted the last 3 put together. probably cause it knows I have a Walbro waiting to replace it.

lol, yeah. Thats the way it goes around here too. I didn't even know the last one was bad untill I tried to drain the water from fuel manager/filter and it knocked off. I'll check the fuel pressure next weekend, what are they good for? about 5 psi? Next time it goes bad I'm going with a Walbro.

I might just park it for a while. Whenever the 6.5L starts acting up I park it in the "yard of shame" for a while and break out The White Mule, then it acts right after a time out.

I know it has pressure but idk how much. The lift pump is only a year old but i guess it could be giving low pressure. The motor didn't idle rough though back when the pump was non operational. Truck idled fine with herzog injectors but after I chainged them it idled rough. I though it got something in the fuel system while sitting but I figured it would work itself out by now.

Were the injectors pop\pressure tested before you installed them? May be a faulty injector

Were the injectors pop\pressure tested before you installed them? May be a faulty injector

No, others have had the India units tested good so I took my chances.Thats what I'm scared of. I do not want to pull them again. We only have one diesel shop around here that I know of and they won't touch anything dealing with the 6.5L.

Forgot to mention that I put a set of duraterms in at the same time and now there is a ticking sound (from the driver's side I think) that I can only hear at light throttle/lower RPM's.

What is the best way to find a sticking injector? Will sticking a hose on each injector and listening work or do I need to crack the lines one at a time? Or is there a fuel additive to try before swapping each injector one at a time?

No, others have had the India units tested good so I took my chances.Thats what I'm scared of. I do not want to pull them again. We only have one diesel shop around here that I know of and they won't touch anything dealing with the 6.5L.

Forgot to mention that I put a set of duraterms in at the same time and now there is a ticking sound (from the driver's side I think) that I can only hear at light throttle/lower RPM's.
Sounds like a sticky injector(hard on the IP).Crack the lines one by one to find the culprit.
Do yourself a favor and install a in cab fuel press gauge.You won't regret it.

Do yourself a favor and install a in cab fuel press gauge.You won't regret it.

I bet. I wish I had done it back with the boost/pyro.

About the injector, I know next to nothing about the injection system on these trucks. I can only hear the tick at about 1,000 to 1,300 RPM's and the hiccup is only at idle. Is it okay to raise the RPM's with a line cracked or is that a bad idea?

And with the line cracked will the hiccup go away at idle or will it run rough like the gassers.

Run the Engine at idle.
When you looses the inj line nut fuel will spill out and the tick will go away if it is the injector causing it.
The engine might still stumble a bit but the tick will be gone.
On a slight case like yours there is actually no substitute but removing and bench test the squirts.

I wouldn't trust these "India" inj for a moment anyway.

Back