• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rims: Black or Chrome on a Dark Blue Truck

Considering I've run a combined 160k+ on 285s with the PYO 6.5" rims with no troubles, I'd say you would be good with the 8" rim Dave.

Kinda what I was thinking as I'm not going with a monster sized tire, I was just unsure if there was something to keep in mind where a rim that was too wide for a tire. I do really like how the 285's on the PYO's look, maybe just in my mind, but the 16" rim makes them look larger then they really are.

i have the chevy 04+ hd rims on my truck they are aluminum. i was wondering if these could be made black i relly like the style of them (and i already have them) i was thinging of powder coat but how does that work on rims do you have to keep it off the bead surface

I'm in the same situation as you 12ga. Gotta a big Blue Pickup that is in some serious need of some good looking wheels and tires.

Personally, I don't like the look of either alone. Black makes the vehicle look far to dark. And the chrome makes it to... ricer...(Chrome don't get you home). I'm going for a mix of both. Like the Ion Alloy 133's. But I like to keep a balance of dark and light on the truck to avoid making it go to far to "one side" if you get where I'm coming from.

But that's me. If your gonna smoke the taillights and do recon lights then black it out!

Oh, I know for a fact, I would have to be cleaning them and polishing them about once a week, at least. I thought of going with the black rims because of that reason. A little easier maintance right?

Strangely enough, I think that Chrome or Polished Aluminum are easier to keep clean.

Dirt is not actually 'black' in color. Most dirt is a light gray. Silver or gray color tends to hide it the most. Black tends to show the most dirt. Chrome, believe it or not, tends to hide dirt, in my opinion. Brake dust is a whole other matter. If you're using ceramic brake pads, then that should be minimal.

Also, Chrome is much more resistant to wear, assuming it's actually chrome and not some kind of paint - in other words, is it actually chrome-plated? Triple Chrome plating is the best, and involves a high nickel content. Easy to clean, hard to scratch, resistant to wear and rust, hides dirt.

I like chrome.

-Rob :)

Strangely enough, I think that Chrome or Polished Aluminum are easier to keep clean.

Dirt is not actually 'black' in color. Most dirt is a light gray. Silver or gray color tends to hide it the most. Black tends to show the most dirt. Chrome, believe it or not, tends to hide dirt, in my opinion. Brake dust is a whole other matter. If you're using ceramic brake pads, then that should be minimal.

Also, Chrome is much more resistant to wear, assuming it's actually chrome and not some kind of paint - in other words, is it actually chrome-plated? Triple Chrome plating is the best, and involves a high nickel content. Easy to clean, hard to scratch, resistant to wear and rust, hides dirt.

I like chrome.

-Rob :)

Chrome doesn't get you home:cornut:

I like the look of flat black with just about any color truck. I think that chrome is also a great looking rim with any color truck.

Dave... does this help?

from this thread titled "black rims"

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-forum/130878-black-rims.html

photo.jpg

Yep, it sure does Pep! I really like how that looks. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. That looks really sharp.

Those are the same wheels that I have. The only difference is it looks like he's got the black center caps and I have the chrome ones.

They also look like a 16x8. You really dont want to go much wider than that. It'll make the tires stick out way too far and that can look retarded. An 8" rim will give it a nice, widened stance and it'll look beefy from the front.

Back