• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild kit?

Nosferatu49534

Reaction score
I'm thinking about pulling my motor and as long as all looks good rebuilding. I'm looking for info on the best kits to use, tips to make things easier that sort of thing. I'm not looking for super power just a good build that will run well and so she doesnt leak every where. The truck does everything I want in stock form. :)

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You are pulling the engine why? My tip would be around frugal cost: Blowby can be fixed with rings. Rings and gaskets with a deglaze of the cylinders. The bad news you don't know about will be cracked mains. Maybe you get lucky and no cracks. The cam bearings almost require a machine shop to install with special tools homemade or not.

So ask yourself if a rebuild on a crack prone block with machine work (to do it right) is worth it cost wise vs. a Optimizer. Otherwise fix what broke via rings.

Maybe you are hot rodding it and building something for that?

Power and longevity can be done without pulling the engine IMO via a better turbo and exhaust.

Nothing major is broke yet. "Fingers crossed", I was thinking pulling it would make the rebuild easier. And if the block turns out to be no good I would already be half way to putting a new one in. Blow by isn't my main concern. With 250,000 plus its gonna be there. That's why I'm asking opinions now. Figure the best route to go before I go hog wild.

Nothing major is broke yet. "Fingers crossed", I was thinking pulling it would make the rebuild easier. And if the block turns out to be no good I would already be half way to putting a new one in. Blow by isn't my main concern. With 250,000 plus its gonna be there. That's why I'm asking opinions now. Figure the best route to go before I go hog wild.

And no plans for hot rodding. Just using the truck camper.

Back