• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear Slider Yes or No

Put in a sliding rear window or no?

• Total voters

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
I am having to put a new back glass in my truck, I have hear mixed things about rear sliders, i have always kind of wanted one but i hear that they tend to leak, rattle, are easy to break into, and it will cost more, so what i am wanting to know is if you have one or have had one do you like it or would you just rather not have the head ach?

I always liked having one with a regular cab. The ones I had didn't leak but they did like to rattle. Never had anyone try to break in to those trucks so I don't know about that.

reg cab yes,,, ext cab,, maybe and elc one, as you can't reach it anyway.

Besides,, whats a little rattle in the back glass, hell you have a diesel!

Had both. I find as slider is more trouble than it's worth.

It's also the easiest way to break in to a truck.

Not that a GMT400 is that hard anyways.....:rolleyes5:

id say slider for sure in a reg cab
i dont know how I'd live without mine...although X2 on being easy to break into. I locked my keys in once and crawled through it to get them LOL
Mine never rattled, but it seems pretty tight.

I have sliders and had them on many other trucks. I shurely wouldn't buy one. I don't use them, they rattle ,sometimes leak and easily broke in to. Also harder to clean the multiple panes of glass vs. 1 piece.

the guy that i am going to have put the windows in seems to not think very highly of them and he is going to get back to me tommorow with a price for the slider.

I have a slider in my extended cab. I can open and close it from the driver's seat. I'm only 6'4", so it's not some magical feat. The air flow it provides is nice when you don't feel like turning on the A/C, but another thing to consider is, if you have leaves or other small debris in your truck's bed, that stuff will get sucked into the cab with the slider open... The other nice thing is, since I have an 8' bed, I've had 12' rolls of carpet loaded in my truck with the tailgate closed. Just opened the slider, and stuck an end inside the cab. So, it can have some advantages.

You don't say if you have a std cab or extra cab. If a std cab then they can provide a good source for air flow when the door window and the slider are cracked open. If the extra cab then you already have the rear quarter windows for fresh air flow. It is a bit of a stretch but I can reach the drivers side window latch from the drivers seat.

I've had several pickups with sliders. I've had no problems with rattles,but they can leak some during rain if the slider felt is worn.

Breaking in is real easy, locked the keys in the cab once. A co-worker had his broken into and had stuff stolen, so it does happen.

Since I do have the extra cab (no slider) I don't think I'd opt for a slider if I was given the choice.

Don

I've never had a slider leak or rattle, they just make it easier for you to break into your own vehicle if you've locked your keys in the ignition. A thief would just break any window if they want in. Good thieves don't even have to break a window. My 2 cents.

I like my slider that I have in two of my trucks. One is a std cab and one is an ext. cab. It for sure gives you alot of air movment when open. I don't open it too wide. Just a inch or two does the trick for extra air flow. I have not worried about being broken into. I don't have any leaks or rattles either. I think it adds to the truck also.

I would like to have a slider so I can yell at my dog more easily from the cab, or have him be able to stick his head in. But I didnt care about it enough and I have a huge tool box right behind the glass anyway. Its also easier to throw cans and bottles into the bed that way so youre not littering or messing up the cab ;)

I love my slider in my non a/c regular cab. Its a must.

I have a 'backrack' type metal grille so cab stuff doesn't smash the rear window so no breaking in for me. Not that my door locks work anyhow....

its also super tight, doesn't rattle, and doesn't leak.

They do offer power sliders also.

FWIW, just talk to a glass company and if you have the appropriate insurance just have them replace the non-slider with a slider type. The glass guy doesn't care. Should be covered by insurance. In my state it is anyhow. Freebie slider.

Mine however came with the truck and is tight as can be. Really gives the air a swirl on the hot days.

It can also clear the cab out really fast should it be filled with something it shouldn't be. :)

Well even though i really would like a slider i decided against it. it was $75 more and the guy who is going to put it in said the he doesnt like the aftermarket sliders says the quality and the way they go in is no where near the factory ones and im guessing that most of you guys have factory ones. The A/c is going to work in this truck again and iv gotten along fine with out one for this long.

I would get a slider, but then I have difficulty getting the arc right on anything I throw out my side window aiming for the bed. ;)

I have a slider on mine and LOVE it. I never use the A/C in my truck since its broken. and when you roll down the side windows the air going into the truck is rough and choppy sounding sometimes. As soon as i open up that back window it quiets the air noise right down, and creates a better feeling airflow past you. Never had an ext. cab so i dont know if it works well in that, bit it is great in a reg. cab. My locking mechanism on my slider is made out of metal and those clips, so if your going to break in your going to break the glass no matter what....

I liked the factory slider in my 85 had to have it replaced due to truck tires that I was hauling wanted to ride up front with me. The after market replacement slider sucked didn't rattle or leak that I remember but the fit was terrible the glass people had a tough time installing it and it looked like it would fly out of there if you touched it.

Mark

I liked the factory slider in my 85 had to have it replaced due to truck tires that I was hauling wanted to ride up front with me. The after market replacement slider sucked didn't rattle or leak that I remember but the fit was terrible the glass people had a tough time installing it and it looked like it would fly out of there if you touched it.

Mark

that is what the guy im having put mine in said to me and i just didnt want the head ach of it all. deffanitly would like to have a factory slider in a pickup though.

Back