• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear A/C in '05 Suburban

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I learned there was some sort of issue with the rear air on the older Suburbans (for example, our '94) that caused a need to have the fan on medium, at all times, at the minimum, if the A/C was on. Did this issue get corrected with the newer body style, such as the '05 we recently bought?

Nope, my 2001 still has it. The side by side systems have it. Any twin system will.

What happens is the "off" one collects the oil and a bit of liquid refrigerant promoting corrosion, starving the compressor of oil, then when it does turn on it gets a large influx of goodies.

It doesn't need medium, any setting other than off.

2002 was the borderline year before someone at GM wised up and also dumped the rear AC suction line into the suction accumulator. The Accumulator separates any liquid Freon out so it doesn't hurt the compressor with oil washing and hydro-locking. So technically, yes, the system is improved.

Oh wait they brought the stupidity back and moved the compressor low on the engine so liquid can pool in it when the system is off causing hydro-locking the can blow the compressor clean in half let alone trashing the belt and tensioner. That's that random "thump" you get when turning on the AC after sitting for an hour or more. A Deslugger can cure this. http://www.4s.com/Marketing Programs-The Deslugger/Content.aspx

Rock Auto, discount code under the deals section.

Thank you! About $38 on there and sounds like it's well worth it.

My '99 GTP has a low pump, too. Maybe it's a good idea for that one, too.

Is the Duramax pump down low, or are they on top. Might get one for dad's '01.

Back