• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Puller Updates/Upcoming Events/Results

durallymax

Reaction score
Ill Use this thread to keep the progress of new things, upcoming pulls and results.

So to start things off im gonna summarize from the beginning of getting ready for this year. I had plans to run with Badger Truck Pullers Association so I needed more power, more safety and a better setup all around. The class is limited to 3.0 twins or unlimited single turbos. Everything else for the driveline has to be available in a 1 ton or smaller truck but is not brand specific. The truck also has to be registered and have DOT tires. Those are the main rules.

Last fall I installed a Suncoast Stage IV and 1055 Torque Converter myself. It was quite the learning experience and man is it fun. Its still holding strong, but im gonna order some more goodies for it to make it run even better nd pull it out and freshen it up sometime this season or maybe ill wait till the end of the season.

This winter more power came. I added and Borg Warner Air Werks S472 Turbo with an ETT compressor wheel. I used the PPE GT42R install Kit but in hindsight wouldve rather used Rick D Lances Pedastal and upipes as they cost just as much as the PPE kit and the pedestal is better IMO.

I decided to pull the motor to make the install easier and while it was out I added ARP2000 Head Studs and "C" headgaskets.

I chose to make my own steel intake so it would be easier to incorporate the Engineered Diesel Air Shutoff. I couldve gotten away with a trailer breakaway style kill switch and kinda wish I went that route. But Its too late now. The Shutoff is actuated by a PTO cable for a dump truck that ends in the rear of the truck. However when we mounted the loop at 3 in the morning i had the tailgate off. Now its in the way for the tailgate so I just leave it off. It lets me move more weight up front anyways. The Intake is 4" pipe and adapts to the turbo with a 4-5" Vibrant Silicone adapter.

I also had to ditch the cushion hitch. I had heard stories of guys bending Reese Tow Beast Hitches so I overbuilt my own. It weighs about 130lbs but its not gonna bend. I also made an adjustable pulling hitch for the receiver out of solid 2" bar. It uses a loop made out of 1" plate with a 3x3.75" hole cut in it. That plate has two vertical plates welded to it with holes in them. A 7/8" pin is used for adjustment. I also welded two more reciever tubes to it and slid in some bump stops.

When it came to driveshaft loops i decided to build a complete cage. Once it was built I realized it just wasnt going to work. So Now I have a 6" long 3/8 Steel piece of pipe mounted to the rear axle for the rear u joint shield and a 2" long piece in the middle of the shaft. Ill also be adding another 6" long piece for the u joint by the T case even though it isnt needed. I may also add a front driveshaft u joint sheild as well if i get bored.

For traction Bars I kept my original ones until the one bent last weekend. Now I have new slightly shorter ones built out of 2" DOM Schedule 80 pipe. I also made new front mounts to spread the load out better.

Suspension stops remained the same but I will be making new ones shortly that are just better and easier to use.

The weight bracket got a complete overhaul. It is made out of 3x3x3/16 tube and now angles up 45* so it clears the trailer and so do the weights. No more pitching weights on and off, they stay on. It also has a recovery loop incase i break and need to be pulled off the track. The weight bracket did snap over the weekend but it is now repaired and even stronger.

The exhaust just recieved and overhaul tonite. Instead of the stupid flex pipe running under the frame crossmember that kept falling off, it now runs 4" solid pipe over the crossmember into a 5" elbow that connects to the 5" stack which i hope to upgrde to a shinier 6" with less plastic melted to it.

Tires are different too. I mounted 315/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler AT 695s on My H2 Rims that I finally polished. So far they have impressed me and I like the results. THey seem to be hooking up good.

Tuning has obviously been changed a lot and im kinda starting with a low power tune and working my way up for one reason, i need to save these rods. I already bent a set of them and dont have a nother set of spares laying around. Next time it will have to be a full motor build.

The interior is a little different now. Its missing the pass seat and rear seat. I removed the passenger seat to build a laptop stand. After it went crashing into my dash I decided i wanted a good secure easy to use stand for it. I will also be mounting my fir extinguiser to this versus the cupholder its in right now. In addition i add a helmet and firesuit hanger. And I may even add a post that I can mount a camera to for some in cab action.

I had been borrowing a helmet and jacket but finally bought my own last night. I got a G Force 105 series black jacket and black pants. You really cant beat the price of the G force stuff. The helmet on the other hand was pretty pricey. I went with a Black Simpson Bandit. Its overkill for what we need to pulling but if I ever go drag racing or anything its certified for just about any application except road use due to its tunnel vision. I will be getting a mirrored lens for it soon for those pulls when the sun is in your face.

Within the next couple weeks the truck should be completely stickerd out.

I may even add a graphic with the new name of the truck. "Last Minute Puller". We decided on this name because no matter how much time I have I always wait until the night before to actually work on the truck.

The tow rig is an 03 Chevy Dmax/Ally EC/LB LT with a fuel tank in the bed which will come in handy for some of the pulls. Trailer is just a 32' Triaxle Featherlite gooseneck with finicky brake connection but that doesnt really matter as the brakes are shot on it anyways.

That should bring everybody up to speed on the truck.

Now for the events. Our First hook was in Sauk City, WI on May 23rd. The night before my truck was a block and crank, at 4pm the next day it was running but had some electrical issues and a coolant leak. The electrical issues turned out to be two grounds that werent hooked up. The coolant leak was a bad oil cooler to adapter gasket. Which I waited 3 weeks for and in turn missed the next pull on May 30th in Oshkosh, WI.

I replaced the gasket but the threads ended up stripped in the oil cooler so it still leaked. I replaced the oil cooler with a spare from my other motor but broke the o ring on the coolant pipe. So we put one in from my o ring set but it didnt quite fit right and still leaked a little. So far almost a week later ive only added a half gallon of coolant to it so im gonna run it for now. I do have the right o ring now and will fix it sometime soon.

The next pull was June 12th in Union Grove, WI at the Challenge of Power. We did get the truck running and ready to go for this one. I took off and just as the turbo lit the truck pulled all of the fuel and stopped then took off then stopped then took off. I tried it again and it did the same thing. I was able to walk it out to 287' I was told. I dont know the exact results yet. When i got to the end of the track the truyck was a cloud of smoke which turned out to be the fuel in the valley from fuel leaks at first startup just burning off and the rest was exhaust smoke from my exhaust falling apart. When I got back to the pits i discovered my DSP5 was on and running a crappy DD tune with stock defueling between shifts which was the issue. The result as a cracked weight bracket and bruised shin and a messy interior.

The Next pull was the next night in Deerfield, WI. As I was going to the scale a whole section of my exhaust fell off and was laying on the ground. We Reattached it and headed to the scale. I had the right tune this time and the truck took off and right as the turbo lit blew the exhaust off and simultaneously bent the traction bar on the drivers side. As I was going down the track for some reason I decided to try shifting to 4th, but this track was a little short and was pretty tacky so the truck bogged down and I quickly shifted back but lost too much momentum and it snuffed out.

I ended upgoing 267' which placed me 5th for points but 6th overall as the first puller came back a rehooked and pulled further but the points are figured from your initial hook I guess.

Here are the videos from those two pulls.

This first one is union grove where I video taped the entire pull and didnt make a seperate video for my truck. So Im at 5:24.

YouTube - BTPA Union Grove 6/12/09

This Video is Deerfiedl but I couldnt get the camera person to get the whole pull so its just me.

YouTube - Last Minute Puller In Deerfield

The next pulls are this weekend and its a busy one.

June 19th. This Friday we pull in Mackville WI.

Then

June 20th at 1pm we pull in Watertown, WI. Then drive 3 hours back up to Mackville to pull at 6pm.

More Later.

lookin good vinny, truck is coming long ways, that last pull almost looked like the sled had to brake, so you werent taking him home with u.

Well the weight bracket and hitch re painted and look a lot better.

My new traction bars are on but the front brackets are a temporary deal as i ran out of time and just needed to get them done.

We have a huge storm rolling through right now and got it loaded and backed into the shop before the downpour. But I know the pull will still be going on tomorrow night as it is an NTPA pull.

Its gonna be a long weekend probably wont be on till sunday.

Nope that isnt how we operate. All of the big pulling tracks around here are built up with a thick base of clay. WHen it rains, out come the scrapers and tillage equipment and layers of the track are removed until it has adequate consistent moisture.

Last nights track got rained on but they did a good job re prepping it. It snuffed every single truck out except 1.

But the pull last night didnt go so well for me.

I built up some heat on the line and the next thing I knew I wasnt really moving anywhere.

Somewhere along the line i broke a lot of stuff. The video shows it, but I dont remember sitting on the line that long.

The damage is a broken half shaft, and both intermediate shafts are broke.

Vinny, Looks like you got some strong competition. Whats that red Dmax that broke the hitch got in it for a turbo, made some pretty noise on the line... Wouldnt want to be that flag man lol.

Tough break Vinny. :doh: One of these days you'll get all the bugs worked out of it.:beer:

Vinny, Looks like you got some strong competition. Whats that red Dmax that broke the hitch got in it for a turbo, made some pretty noise on the line... Wouldnt want to be that flag man lol.

A Big one. We can run unlimited ones. Although it might be the 4202 off his other truck.

Well I have both of the shafts in and everything up at work for the guy to put together since i just done have time. Tomorrow morning ill pick it up and well throw it in. Then theres still a lot i need to get done to the truck but nothing urgent.

Still need to do some work on the driveshaft loops and traction bar mounts plus paint them. Still wanna do the new stack and new stack bracket. A Co-worker came up with the idea of mounting a piece of leftover stainless or treadbrite aluminum in the space beween the bed and the reciever then moving my kill switch down there and putting my tailgate back on.

I still gotta make that laptop mount, fire extinguisher mount, coat hnger, helmet rack, camera stand dealio.

O ya and finally make a pass where i can log some good info and work on the tuning.

I had a new toy show up today. A Helmet Camera that is a selfcontained unit, no extra camera required. Its 640x480 resolution and 30 frames per second so its not too bad for a cheap little camera. It runs on double A'a and i put a 2GB card in it. Ill probably strap it to0 my helmet for the pull tomorrow night. Should get some interesting views.

BTW My next pull is tomorrow night In Jefferson, WI.

We have two pulls next week but ill be in Syracuse, New York. For a Convention.

Nice write-ups and video. Nice to hear what is going on back home in wisconsin. Keep up the good work and i'm sure you will get the bugs out soon. I should be home from iraq in feb so i will try to get my truck done and built when i get home. Wish the best of luck to you.

Well Im sitting in New York right now waiting to fly out.

The total damage of the front end ended up being the inner shaft, the drivers side output shaft, the drivers side half shaft, a sway bar link, the clips for the passenger side out put shaft and the shift fork.

I think what must have happened is the inner shaft broke which sent the shockwave of power over to the drivers side output shaft which broke that and the halfshaft at the same time. Or mahybe it was the other way around. then as the broken inner shaft rotated it pushed the pass side output shaft through its retaining clips and tweaked the shift fork at the same time.

I wouldve had the truck together for our pull last weekend in jefferson but was missing the two clips for the pass side shaft. They showed up on friday but i was in NY. Ill be getting them tomorrow finishing up the diff and throwing it in.

This week i have 3 or 4 pulls.

Tuesday i might have a brush pull in Baraboo not too far away. Ill see if I can get a few extra hooks for tuning purposes.

Thursday were back in Jefferson for a points hook.

Saturday were in Baraboo for a points hook.

And Sunday night is my hometown pull in Lodi if the truck is still running and in one piece.

Trucks done and ready to be washed and loaded.

Tomorrow night i dont think there is a class, but the sled owner is a co-worker and told me to come up and make some tuning passes. I gotta haul our farm hands IH "H" up there for the antique pull anyways.

Well see how things turn out.

Wow. I GOT IT TO RUN!!!

Nothing broke and it ran smooth. The first hook was very smooth and it ran nice. 293' geared for Hot Farm Tractors which is a little bit tougher to pull. It held 24,000psi of rail pressure down the track.

2nd Hook i added some timing and fuel to the tune and ran it again but it didnt seem to wind out as much im sure a lot of it was the track as the moisture tarted to come out later on. 295' sled was set the same.

Overall it ran good and i was very happy with it.

As always heres the video

YouTube - Test and Tune Baraboo 7/7/09

Back