• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Product review: 19 in 1 import screwdriver, various brands

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I figured i would spread the word of awesomeness.

Back when I was in college working part time for dad's farmer/ tractor broker buddy, I got to use a 19 in 1 screwdriver. He had bought it new at carquest, handle was blue in color, was carquest branded on the label.

best damn screwdriver ever, and I commented on that. Guess who got one for a christmas bonus. :)

This screwdriver is a ratcheting type with a hold position, had 3 nut drivers in the multi-handle, and any extra double ended bits go under a threaded cap in the end and drop into holes in the thick plastic handle. it has hex, square, torx, and phillips and flat. it is the only multi-screwdriver to have #3 phillips to my knowledge, which on our equipment is useful. the torx bits are the right size for many GM applications. I know, pretty awesome.

This tool is the prime example of how there is nothing wrong with import stuff, as long as it is built correctly, is durable, and made of quality material. too bad so many import tools dont adhere to the requirements. IIRC it is made in taiwan.

anyhow, I was helping him a few weeks ago on a project, and commented about the screwdriver of lore and legend again. Our buddy exclaimed that they quit selling it!! SHTF, and the search was on, we had to find a source for the worlds best screwdriver that ever lived, and ever was.

I was like this for an hour or two:

crappy screwdrivers were coming up in every search and every window, hurting morale and sanity. an adequate looking import channel-lock 16 in 1 was the only glimmer of tolerable compromise.

then.....

Contact.

Found it.

different color handle, different brand, same everything else.

searched the brand and description, and low and behold, its buyable through the sears website, but not from sears, but rather a "sears partner".

the same thing is offered by a few "sears partners" from mid 20 dollar range up to 60 dollar range. believe me, I would have bit at 60 if unable to find cheaper, its that good.

here is the direct link to the cheapest sears partner: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2406939003P?loginFlow=Yes&storeId=10153&catalogId=12605

here is some eye candy in case you fear to click the link.

In conclusion, I havent put it through its paces, but it showed up today and it feels and looks identical to the original, so I am 99 percent sure its the same factory that built the carquest one. I honestly like the second gen color scheme better, Its Gleaner colors! :)

I hope its ok to post a link to an offsite vendor if it isnt pickup truck part related.

if a moderator thinks this fits better in product reviews, go ahead and move it, I though shop section was where it belonged.

Nice review. I bet you'll never use more than a few of its functions though. Unless it's kept in the Gleaner and you break down 3 miles from the farm shop. THEN it will have some new functions like hammer and prybar and chisel and gasket scraper and...? :D

Nice review. I bet you'll never use more than a few of its functions though. Unless it's kept in the Gleaner and you break down 3 miles from the farm shop. THEN it will have some new functions like hammer and prybar and chisel and gasket scraper and...? :D

very true. I have never used the square drive bit, and I think just a handful of times on the hex bits, but the torx, phillips and flat get used all the time. the handle and ratcheting mechanism is the biggie, overbuilt and highly functional. bnit storage is usually flimsy on other screwdrivers, but this one is simple and tough. no spring loaded carrier with plastic tips to break and not hold, just simple holes in a big handle, drop the bits in and thread the cap on.

as for emergency tool supply, the gleaner comes with a multi-tool from the factory. it is called the "Gleaner door tool". the stone door in front of the cylinder has two heavy sprung latches, and they are easily manipulated with one's feet to close it, but to open it the tool is nice.

it has a metal grab sleeve welded the the handle to grab the latch, and its nice and blunt, so there is the hammer. it also has a prybar tip on the end. it is heavy enough if thrown with enough force and hits dead center, rattlesnakes have met their maker courtesy the door tool. :)

I very seldom use screwdrivers anymore, I use my impact driver for everything screw/drill related

impact driver like the manual hammer type, or the battery powered driver with bits?

I still lug my big toolbox on long trips, and it's a craftsman set, which includes a handle with many bits, covering everything, but this one is great for shorter trips where you just pack a small box.

Back