• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Powerstroke problems, need a little help

DMAX1518

Reaction score
My dad has an 05 Powerstroke 6.0 that has had very few problems except for a blown turbo at 20,000 miles. On a camping trip last summer the band clamp that holds the intake boot on the turbo broke, he replaced it and did not have any problems with it until last week. He was pulling his 8,000lb camping trailer into the mountians to fish and the hose blew off. the clamp did not break this time. He put it back on and on the way home it did the same thing. Now he says it does not seem to have as much power and does not build as much boost as it did. Any ideas?

Check for any kind of Rip in the Coupler if there is one, and if it's just a Plastic Tube, check for Cracks.

Hit the Inside of the Boot with Brake Cleaner to get and Oils off that might be in there, and the Surface of the Turbo where it Clamps on.

Hit the Inside of the Boot with Brake Cleaner to get and Oils off that might be in there, and the Surface of the Turbo where it Clamps on.
Then hit the inside with some hairspray (no joke) before you put it back on. It's worked for quite alot of guys...believe it or not.

Then hit the inside with some hairspray (no joke) before you put it back on. It's worked for quite alot of guys...believe it or not.

Yea, now that you say it, that's the Second Step after the Brake Cleaner. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. We'll give it a try tomorrow. Hopefully thats the problem and there is nothing wrong with this turbo.

Tried a good cleaning and hairspray and it happened again tonight. This time with no load and on a fairly flat stretch of road doing about 35mph. Any ideas for underlying causes? Could it be over boost, wastegate, anything? The clamp is practically new, the first one broke last fall and the truck does not get driven much.

My brothers powerjoke was overboosting because the veins were stuck in the turbo. Their turbos are piles of shit. He has had his replaced once and rebuilt once. I got my truck with way more miles than his. Since I got it, I have put twice as many miles on as he has. Yet the only problems I have had that weren't self induced have been the nsbu switch and the water pump.
When I bought my truck I had been looking for a decent powerstroke. I had always been a Ford guy. I couldn't find a nice powerstroke in my price range. I found this truck and it was in my price range. I said f it and got it, but I was very dissapointed. I hated the fact that I had a Chevy. It took me a little while to admit to myself that I really loved this truck. But I am so glad that I didn't find a powerstroke that was in my price range now, I never would have had a nice truck if I did.

Isn't the intake side of the turbo under vacuum?

Has the air filter been changed recently?

I would say the turno is on it's way out again. You are overboosting most likely due to a Vein failure very common in the 6.0 (and now 6.4)

Explain to me how OVERBOOSTING can cause the INTAKE BOOT, which is under VACUUM, to blow off.

...On a camping trip last summer the band clamp that holds the intake boot on the turbo broke, he replaced it and did not have any problems with it until last week. He was pulling his 8,000lb camping trailer into the mountians to fish and the hose blew off. the clamp did not break this time. He put it back on and on the way home it did the same thing. Now he says it does not seem to have as much power and does not build as much boost as it did. Any ideas?

To me that doesn't sound like he's talking about intercooler boots, but I probably just don't make the same assumptions that most folks do.

Sorry for not being more specific but I don't have a lot of experience with turbos. It is the boot coming from the IC to the turbo.

Back