• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Penetrating oil discussion

btfarm

America First!
Reaction score
This frequently comes up in various threads so I thought it might be helpful to have a discussion all by itself.
I've personally used a product from Chemsearch called Yield. It is the best I've used but here is a comparison I found at Jalopyjournal while doing a search that I found surprising:

Penetrant.JPG

We use Kroil when I can liberate a pint or so from work, or BG's "InForce" and a clone called "Trust-It" made by another company I don't remember right now. If we're out of those, I'll mix up acetone and ATF. Stock up on spray bottles if you're mixing your own stuff.....they don't last too long.

Let me add that having to use this stuff way too often makes me HATE Ohio vehicles.....even my own!

For Ohio vehicles I employ the best 'liquid wrench' ever invented....The Oxy-acetylene torch.. AKA Smokewrench.. Turns steel into liquid and blows it out the way.

PB is good. Liquid wrench is good too.

WD is only good for machining aluminum on the lathe. and tar removal off the rocker panels.. :D

Good info. Not surprised by WD-40 performance (its about my least favorite lube/penetrant/spray oil) but didn't think acetone/ATF was so much better than the specific purpose products. ATF is a pretty strong solvent though and have to watch overspray / runnoff.

I wonder if different types of rust (age and mixed contamination dirt/crud dissimlar metals etc) and or depth of joint, weather, or other factors would change results?

I read on a tractor site that industrial acetone mixed 50/50 with ATF outperformed all others by 100% as a penetrating oil.
I never tried it myself though

Truth! We use the hell out of the "blue wrench"!!!!!!

For Ohio vehicles I employ the best 'liquid wrench' ever invented....The Oxy-acetylene torch.. AKA Smokewrench.. Turns steel into liquid and blows it out the way.

PB is good. Liquid wrench is good too.

WD is only good for machining aluminum on the lathe. and tar removal off the rocker panels.. :D

Mike, not sure where you may have came across this little bit of trivia but it’s good information. I am surprised by the results. When I get home I’ll make some of my own like they did. I would agree with the use of WD40 for tar removal. After seeing this I won’t be using it for much else.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Just heads up for a different use for WD40.

When my daughter was quite young we always told her to never go to bed with gum in her mouth. Well, guess what she did once? Yup, she woke up with gum in her hair, and not just on the surface. It was embedded deep down next to her scalp. My wife tried all the things she had heard were good for removing gum, and tried many other things as well.

Just being a smart alec I told her to try WD40 since it is good for many other things, including displacing water. Guess what, it WORKED!!! The gum just dissolved.

NEVER underestimate the power of WD40!! Real or imagined.

Don

I have used liquid wrench and it works just fine. I found this product called MOOVIT at my local parts shop and I really like it. It's also made in Canada which I try to buy when I can

View attachment 04_lubricants.pdf

Also it works awesome I have yet to find a bolt it can not loosen. I have not looked but I don't think you can buy acetone at your local parts store up here.

Should I dare ask... Has anyone tried coke cola..? No Joke I've heard but never used, just like ketchup can clean old coins, which you shouldn't do for lost in value if Old.

Smiling quietly Mike before you say it, I don't drink that stuff coz I'll loosen some screws & don't use ketchup, "Old is Valuable"

I try to stay plastic safe. Seems there is plastis and rubber everywhere these days.

I'll have to try the mix sometime. those are 2 products I always have on hand.

For stuff that has to be heated I've had my best luck with Sea Foam or Deep Creep as it's labeled in the aerosol cans

Back