• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Painted Door Handles?

Use a filler primer, saves you time on all that sanding.

x2, a good epoxy primer will fill the imperfections. Go to your local body shop and they should steer ya straight. I just bought a set of 4 painted ones of EBAY for 179 shipped. Also try Pace performance, they are a GM dealer and have your color pretty reasonable.

x2, a good epoxy primer will fill the imperfections. Go to your local body shop and they should steer ya straight. I just bought a set of 4 painted ones of EBAY for 179 shipped. Also try Pace performance, they are a GM dealer and have your color pretty reasonable.

Were these all painted or chrome handles,painted buckets.

Put them in the dishwasher for a cycle to clean all residue of armorall or road grime, do a light sanding afterwards, and then do your normal paint thing. I did this for the dashboard of a car before and it work well

DSC02131.jpg
DSC02132.jpg
Got one on my tailgate too , just came yesterday.

Winter? I love winter its like 60 degrees here in the winter. I actually have to wear long sleeves and a jacket then. Lol People say they could never live here because they like the season. Well i say to them, me too!!! So I picked a place to live with the best one!!!

I usally hit the plastic with 180 til about 90% of texture if off then a quick 320. I use BUlldog adeive promotor, 2-3 coats of filler primer wet sand 4-600 and ur ready to go... Prep them and paint them...

Door handles aren't too bad, but smaller is not always easier. You have to make sure you get the texture down to a point where the primer can fill the pits.

1) Sand - 180, 220, then 400 grit and water seems to work fine for me
2) Dishwasher is a great idea
3) Grease/Wax remover, wipe with acetone
4) Shoot primer (high build works best with textured plastics) - find at Napa
5) Sand with 400 and water, make smooth
6) Shoot paint - first coat light, let it tack up, then shoot on evenly and heavier coat.
7) Re-apply paint, I usually use 3 base coats, makes sure EVERYTHING is covered (nobody likes a bare spot with clear over it!)
8) Clear, light first coat, medium second coat, medium final coat (wait to dry)
9) Sand with 1000, 1600 (with water)
10) Rubbing compound
11) Drink 4 beers
12) Apply to truck.
13) Drink 2 more beers
14) Enjoy!

Someone else probably does it differently, but I've painted a few plastic things, steel, and whole cars this way and they've all turned out very well. Hope this helps.

Tom.

BTW - adjust beer numbers accordingly. :D

Im kinda new to the body stuff myself.

How much would all of this cost for the supplies to do all three of my handles, my BIG mirrors, and a lot of the front end. And sloe whatever else is in sight that I want painted dark charcoal metallic.

A quart of paint is going to cost you, for good PPG or Dupont, around $80 with reducers, hardeners, all the goodies. Clear's about the same. Do you have a paint gun? Ever painted before?? It can turn really ****ty really fast if you're not careful.

Most of the time, it's more time effective to take it somewhere and have it done right by someone with all of the right equipment. You could spend 3 days sanding, priming and shooting and have to do it all over again if something goes wrong. I once had to resand and respray an entire door because my dog came in the booth and sneezed on it. :( It happens. On the other hand, if you want to get into it, practice on some parts you don't care about, see how they turn out. Bodywork is very tedious and it can make or break the look you're going for. It took me a few months to get used to my new paint gun and make it spray the way I wanted it to. Check out a NAPA around you for paint supplies.

My dealers body shop quoted me at $190.32 to do 3 handles and the mirrors.

And I know they do good work. They paint all of the citys fire trucks and a lot of tractors for the local dealership (the one that sponsors me).

Do you have to remove the inside door panel to remove the door handle plastic bezel? I have chrome handles but i bought paint to do the bezel part of the handle.

Back