• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OT: Floor Jacks and Jackstands?

proth1975

Reaction score
This is the first "heavy duty" truck I've had... so all my jacks and stands are of the puny 2-ton variety. I've looked at whats out there, but I though I'd ask here first.

What's everyone using for (capacity wise), for jacks and stands?

-P
'94 Suburban 6.5L 2500 "HD" 3/4 Ton

I believe my jack is 3 1/2 ton and the stands are 3 ton, more likely it's tonnes so add 10%

My jack stands are 6 ton and my floor jack is 3 ton. I would not use anything less. If you have to buy new equipment I would look at Hein-Werner. Pretty good warranty and they are made in the US.

I've got a 3 ton jack and 6 ton stands. just remember overkill is just fine when you a$$ is on the line. otherwords take what you need and double it for safety.

My father-in-law insists on using a 12 ton bottle jack for his late 70's blazers. I think that's defined as overkill though :D

have a look @ 3rd picture here http://myweb.cableone.net/tbogemirep/ always upsize beyond what your weight estimate,

K1500%20with%20Diesel-Much%20heavier%20than%20C1500%20Gasser

Last edited by a moderator:
I just baught a 3 1/2 ton torin from northern tools for $99.00 work great 6 ton jack stands I had a Michelin jack before but it died after 8 yrs.

Still using the same Lincoln 3 ton jack I have had for 20 yrs back when they were american made. Bill is right though, Hiem Werner is about the best out there now. What's your life worth. Torin is made in China. I would not trust my life on it.

......... What's your life worth. Torin is made in China. I would not trust my life on it.

Definitely, definitely, not. I always put some wood blocking or something that won't crush before crawling under something. I don't trust jack stands, either, no matter how good they are.

Jack stands are going to be WAY more stable and safe than wood blocks or cinder blocks. They're designed for a large static load. One of the forums I'm on a guy was working on his brother's truck, and as they were removing the trans, the cinder blocks it was on collapsed and the transmission broke his hip. Safety first. Your life is priceless, so use the right tools to protect it.

Back