• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Option K-47 air cleaner box?

Yachtcare

Recruit
Reaction score
Went to Car-part.com to shop for a later style air cleaner, and they give two variations to shop for, a standard box, and a "option K 47". I was searching for 1998 and up. I searched around for a bit, is there any advantage to one over the other?

That will most likely be the HD filter box. It came with a bigger filter meant for dusty driving conditions....

If you can wait untill middle to end of July we will have our new stg. 2 intake system available and trust me when I say it will be worth the wait.

Yes, please hurry up with that kit Ian! I have been impatiently waiting a couple months for it to drop :) Todd said it will be awesome as he turned me on to the product.

Went to Car-part.com to shop for a later style air cleaner, and they give two variations to shop for, a standard box, and a "option K 47". I was searching for 1998 and up. I searched around for a bit, is there any advantage to one over the other?

K47 supports the large 'heavy duty' filters which have the pre-filter wrapped around it. I used to run one, until I noticed HP and MPG was down, and I was blowing a bunch of black smoke - they are quite restrictive, although I am sure they do a great job filtering. I moved back to the standard filter and everything is OK now. No more smoke, HP back up.

I am not sure if the housings are different, but if they are, then the K47 will be a little larger in diameter. I doubt it will make much difference in air flow. The K47 housing will allow you to use EITHER filter. Again, I didn't even know there were two different housings.

Rob :)

So can one run a K47 box (that might be bigger in diameter) with a smaller filter? i've wondered about that, as dad's 98 gasser (w/ similar housing) seems to collect trash only on one side. i would think that a large housing and a small filter would allow for better "swirl" therefore using the almost all of the filter media, instead of just the one side.

how can one tell a K47 box from a standard box? would one be limited to just checking the tag on the glovebox door?

Also, what years was the K47 on? 96-up or 97 up?

whats this stage 2 intake you are talking about

Its a myth! I cannot compehend any way you could possibly make the system any better by simply installing a different box, and leaving it in the same place. Not going to be worth any more expense than a stock K47 intake option unless it changes something other than the air box and filter. You can get nanofilters from Ashton the Amsoil Oil Geek to go into the K47 intake, and a PVC pipe to go from the intake to the turbo elbow to make it as good as you can if pulling air from the same fender location. It might be possible that they were going to make some air dam pieces to route air around the battery from the front to make it a little better, but this product was hyped and never came out to purchase, possibly because testing didnt bear any fruit.

So can one run a K47 box (that might be bigger in diameter) with a smaller filter? i've wondered about that, as dad's 98 gasser (w/ similar housing) seems to collect trash only on one side. i would think that a large housing and a small filter would allow for better "swirl" therefore using the almost all of the filter media, instead of just the one side.

how can one tell a K47 box from a standard box? would one be limited to just checking the tag on the glovebox door?

Also, what years was the K47 on? 96-up or 97 up?

My Amsoil filter is slightly smaller than the wix Filter.

My question is if I was going for high flow and had an inner cooler than would the filter box be necessary?

My Amsoil filter is slightly smaller than the wix Filter.

My question is if I was going for high flow and had an inner cooler than would the filter box be necessary?

How much heat do you think your inter cooler can take before it's outlet temperature rises? Take 70-100 degree air from the fender or 200 degree under hood air --> then compress it. You get cooler air and more of it out of the turbo starting with the cooler air.

After all we have a heat engine that gets de-rated as the outside temperature goes up. 70 degree intake air to 1150 degree max exhaust air. At that extreme 100 degrees hotter to start with is 10% of the usable air temperature range. The % goes up with lower EGT's. Power and MPG suffer with hotter intake air.

Now if you have a unique problem with snow plugging the air filter under hood air is the way to go. Some snow blowers do not have air filters for this reason...

So whats the best set up to go with i was a dumbass and put an open filter under the hood but will be changing soon

Now if you have a unique problem with snow plugging the air filter under hood air is the way to go. Some snow blowers do not have air filters for this reason...

Snowmobiles are the same way. You arent going to encounter any dust when running either of the two. However, it leaves a nice clear path for the mice to build nests in the throttle body or carbs.

As for the air box....Yes a normal 97'+ filter (AcDelco A1300C) will work with the k47 box. Now I have two of the round style boxes, and one deffinetly came from a k47 optioned truck, but neither of the boxes I have contain any marking on them indicating that they are in fact are a "K47" Not sure if there is any visable difference or advantage between the two.

While we are on this topic....does anyone have a part number for a high-flow amsoil filter that will work with the 97'+ box??? Ive been in contact with wrecker, but have not gotten an answer back on a part number. Thanks

-Nick

The K-47 air box I got from the wreckers-carpart.com has listed on it both the heavy duty and standard delco fiter #'s that are able to be used.
The only difference I am aware of between the 2 filters is that the HD version has a prefiter gause/foam around it.

There is a size difference between the two filters. Turbine Doc was playing with this for a while, but I don't know what exactly he ended up doing with them.

The Amsoil EaA111 (Std) is 6.488" x 11.122" the EaA112 (HD) is 7.24" x 11.122". The bigger filter will NOT fit in most boxes, the cover will not go on.

The EAa111 continues to be very popular.

Back